Director of Housing and Residence Life
Elmhurst College offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst College is one of the Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher education.
Serves as chief administrator for the supervision, management, and community development of six residence halls, two apartment areas, and 11 houses. Oversees operations, programming, staff development, discipline, and physical facilities for on-campus students.
1. Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates professional residence life staff.
2. Ensures selection, training, and evaluation process of paraprofessional staff.
3. Promotes Residence Life Coordinator (RLC), Head Resident and RA visibility and all aspects of community development throughout the halls.
4. Monitors community development in the residence halls including programming, hall council, and increased student interaction.
5. Coordinates the process for residence hall housing assignments, contracts, billing, and reports.
6. Oversees the departmental budget.
7. Serves as a chief judicial officer for the residence halls and works closely with the Assistant Dean of Students in this capacity.
8. Works jointly with the Director of Maintenance on operational issues regarding residence halls and campus improvements.
9. Serves on College and divisional committees as assigned.
10. Maintains professional conduct and ethical behavior at all times.
11. Supports and implements the divisional and College mission and strategic plan.
12. Develops and implements comprehensive plans to achieve student satisfaction and support retention goals in relation to departmental services, objectives and goals.
13. Communicates effectively in writing, speech, and non-verbal communication, including appropriate documentation of incidents and follow-up.
14. Disseminate information to staff in a timely, consistent, and honest manner.
15. Is responsive to students, staff, and others within and outside of the College community in a timely manner that properly addresses the concern.
16. Serves as primary contact for the crisis response on-call team. Serves as a “First Responder” and is available during emergency situations such as blizzards, tornados and other disasters.
17. Consistently enforces, confronts, and reports all College and Housing and Residence Life policy violations immediately after the event occurs.
18. Creates and manages the process for residence hall assignments and room selection.
19. Develops marketing tools for department for items such as room selection, moving on campus, and information for incoming students.
20. Coordinates housing assignments and produces regular occupancy rate reports.
21. Reviews and updates housing contracts and other documents pertaining to housing assignments and occupancy rates.
22. Completes billing for resident students, including room damage assessment, lock out charges, and all other billing concerns.
23. Oversees central office management, student housing files, and releases from housing.
1. A Master’s Degree in Student Personnel, Counseling, Higher Education Administration, or a related discipline.
2. At least five years of experience in college/university Housing and Residence Life.
3. Experience supervising staff and computer skills appropriate to the position.
4. Must possess strong problem-resolution skills, high professional standards, and be able to motivate and lead.
5. Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse student body and staff.
6. Knowledge of student development theory, student leadership theory, and an understanding of current trends in housing and residence life.
7. Ability to work on multiple tasks with attention to detail.
8. Demonstrated success building leadership opportunities for students.
9. The Director of Housing and Residence Life is a full-time administrator.
10. The position requires office hours during weekdays, on-call responsibilities, and occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
11. This is a live-off position.
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical component of the College’s mission, vision and core values. Our commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst College is an EO Employer. Elmhurst College prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.