Education Abroad Advisor (International Programs)
General Description of Position:
The Education Abroad Advisor provides guidance and outstanding professional service to students before, during, and after their education abroad experience. He or she provides information to students, parents, faculty, and staff regarding various education abroad programs and coordinates with relevant academic and administrative offices. He or she also assists with coordinating program and application processes and participates in campus recruitment and promotion as well as participant selection.
The Education Abroad Advisor works with overseas partners to obtain information regarding application processes, course selection, arrival information, accommodation, and other relevant information. Some national and international travel is expected.
This person is a representative of Kansas State University and the Office of International Programs (OIP) and maintains effective working relationships with Education Abroad and OIP staff, the campus community, and international partners. As a member of the Office of International Programs, Education Abroad looks to build upon recent success which has seen about a 44% increase in student participation of education abroad, one of the goals set forth in the K-State 2025 Internationalization Strategic Action Plan.
This is a full-time, 12-month position that is benefits eligible.
Information about the College/Unit:
With an enrollment of nearly 23,000, Kansas State University (K-State) is America's first designated operational land-grant university and consistently ranks among America's best-value institutions. By 2025 Kansas State University will be recognized as one of the nation’s Top 50 Public Research Universities. Our engagement with the international community is critical to the future of our students, our university, and our state. Internationalization is a “common element” underlying the vision and goals of the K-State 2025 initiative. This high level commitment to internationalization underscores the value we place on providing exemplary education abroad opportunities to our students, and enhancing both the student world experience and that of our learning community.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. The university is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment, and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and identify their strengths in this area.
The Successful Candidate will:
Specific duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advises students and/or groups about education abroad opportunities
- Assists students and faculty with program logistics and coordination, pre-departure orientation, and ongoing support.
- Helps with recruitment and promotion, events, and communicates with relevant academic and administrative individual and office on campus
- Participates in office planning, materials development, and evaluation and data collection practices
- Provides support and facilitates special projects, as assigned by the Director of Education Abroad
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master’s Degree in a field related to International Education or Student Services.
- Significant experience abroad (ex: study, intern, volunteer or work)
- Experience advising, counseling, teaching, or working with students, preferably in higher education
- Experience working with multiple, ongoing projects and activities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience communicating with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- High level of communication and problem-solving skills, including attention to detail
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various aspects of international travel (passports, visas, geography, languages spoken, currency, politics, modes of travel, etc.)
- Experience with education abroad programs (faculty-led, exchange, 3rd party provider, or direct enroll)
- Ability to communicate in at least one language in addition to English
- Experience using StudioAbroad or other online application management systems
- Experience in public speaking and training
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to the on-line application form, candidates should submit the following:
• Letter of application detailing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications of the position
• Three professional references with complete contact information and description of the candidate’s relationship with each other.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
$ 32,599 - $ 50,528 annual salary
Please note: the minimum salary for this position is $32,599. Actual salary will be determined based on the candidate’s experience, education, internal equity and departmental funding. Salary offers are typically made between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and potential future progression.
Kansas State University offers health insurance; retirement plans; savings plans; life insurance; vacation, sick, holiday and special leaves (http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/overview/).
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.