Assistant Director of Career Development
Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks an Assistant Director of Career Development, dedicated to supporting and empowering students of all stages as they define and implement professional goals. The incumbent must be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced, schedule-driven environment, balancing appointments, presentations, programming, and projects. Strong skills in oral and written communication, presentations, marketing, student programming, counseling, and an understanding of career and student development theories is necessary. The role involves some evening and weekend programming.
* Counsel, advise, and coach students in the areas of major exploration, career choices, career preparation and readiness, job search strategies, and graduate/professional school entrance.
* Develop, implement, and assess programs and special events that facilitate career development.
* Train and supervise student assistants for all Career Center functions.
* Devise and execute marketing strategies for Career Center services and events.
* Critique student resumes, cover letters, and personal statements providing feedback through in-person appointments and over email.
* Research and implement new resources and platforms to support student learning.
* Demonstrate strong writing skills and subject knowledge to curate high quality content for up-to-date resources useful to staff, students, faculty, and alumni.
* Develop and sustain relationships across NWU and our external community to support the success of programs and events.
* Oversee and administer NWU’s Career Assistance Network.
* Bachelor’s degree.
* Three years of experience in career services or a related field.
* Ability to work independently on self-directed assignments, with minimum supervision, and collaboratively in groups.
* Ability to prioritize, make sound and mature decisions, adjust to varying situations, and take initiative on tasks.
* Ability to collaborate and interact with faculty, staff, students, administrators, employers, and the public in a friendly and professional manner. This includes establishing rapport, maintaining harmonious working relationships, and dealing tactfully and professionally with others.
* Extensive computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel (including formulas), and PowerPoint. Proven ability to use email, file sharing applications, and social media proficiently. Ability to use these tools, or others necessary, to prepare reports and to analyze and determine the applicability of data, draw conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations. A willingness and enthusiasm for learning new technologies is essential.
* Ability to create and maintain organized systems for data/record management; strong organizational and administrative skills.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain and be responsible for confidential information.
* Master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or a related field.
* Experience with career management systems such as Handshake, Symplicity, etc.
* Experience with assessment methodologies such as MBTI, Clifton Strengths for Students, Strong Interest Inventory, etc.
* Experience with, and appreciation for, liberal arts education and its applicability to a range of professional options and skill development.
Commitment to Diversity:
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references to Maria Harder at [email protected] Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please visit the NWU website for more information about our institution: nebrwesleyan.edu