Assistant Dean, Office of Undergraduate Research
The University of North Carolina Charlotte, North Carolina’s urban research university (www.uncc.edu), seeks an Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Research. This is a 12-month clinical faculty position and is expected to begin in May, 2018 (negotiable).
The goals of the Office for Undergraduate Research are to continue to expand the opportunities for undergraduates to engage in authentic research, mentored scholarship, and creative performance at UNC Charlotte. Inquiry and research are distinctive features of the undergraduate educational experience for all students. The activities of this office help prepare undergraduates for post-graduate fellowships. More broadly, the Office of Undergraduate Research prepares students to address future unsolved problems with confidence and embrace their roles as enlightened citizens and leaders in a complex society.
UNC Charlotte seeks an Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Research to serve as the director of the Office of Undergraduate Research. The Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Research has primary responsibility for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of undergraduate research opportunities offered by the OUR. In time, the Assistant Dean is expected to develop new undergraduate research experiences and programs. The Assistant Dean will also support efforts by faculty to secure new external funding to support undergraduate research from programs like NSF’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) by assisting with applications and providing campus infrastructure for undergraduate research programs. The Assistant Dean reports directly to the Associate Dean for Curriculum within the Office of Undergraduate Education.
- Ph.D. or terminal degree in a field of expertise.
- Experience with undergraduate research.
- A record that demonstrates the potential for leadership
A record of leadership demonstrating:
- The ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of students, faculty, and administrators.
- The capacity to independently manage and coordinate activities in a complex environment.
- The ability to think critically and creatively to engage individuals from multiple disciplines and perspectives.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, management and communication skills.
- Experience with standard Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and basic statistical analysis.
- Experience leading undergraduate research efforts.
- Experience at a research university.
- Experience with securing external funding.
- Experience with program assessment.
- Experience with REUs or other similar programs.
Applications must be made electronically at https://jobs.uncc.edu (position number 003492) and must include:
1. Letter of Interest as it relates to the position description
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Contact information for three references. Note: References will not be contacted without permission of the applicant.
The position is open until filled, but applications must be received before 1/31/2018 to guarantee full consideration. Review of applications will begin on 2/9/2018.
The selected candidate may be subject to a criminal background check. As an EOE/AA employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained, the University of North Carolina encourages applications from all underrepresented groups.
Charlotte is a thriving and vibrant metropolitan center, with a 10-county metropolitan statistical area population approximating 2.3 million. The region offers a diverse population, an array of artistic and cultural offerings, thriving professional sports franchises, and an excellent year-round climate. As an EOE/AA employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained, the University of North Carolina Charlotte encourages applications from all underrepresented groups. All finalists are subject to criminal background checks