Senior Library Assistant
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date November 15, 2017
Position Title Senior Library Assistant
Vacancy # VC-387
Department Library Public Services/Media Resources
Division Academic Affairs
Under the supervision of the Head of Multimedia Resources Department, the Senior Library Assistant is responsible for both processes and services in the Department which include working with the media materials, maintaining equipment, and providing customer service.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Opens service desk in the morning and prepares materials for circulation.
- Processes media materials by creating labels from the OCLC Label program, affixes labels, links bar codes to the bibliographic items in the OCLC WorldShare Management Services online public access catalog (OPAC).
- Assists patrons with locating media materials in the OPAC and retrieves the materials. Checks out and checks in media materials, inspects media materials for damages, and computes and reports fines and replacement fees.
- Assists patrons with use of media materials in listening and viewing rooms. Maintains the rooms and contacts Housekeeping is cleaning is needed.
- Assists patrons with retrieving microform materials and with use of microform and scanning equipment. Maintains the microform equipment in good working order.
- Tracks overdue notices and takes action to retrieve media materials, including phone calls, e-mails, and mailing certified letters.
- Refiles microforms after patron use and maintains records of usage.
- Shelves and shelf-read media and microforms using classification system.
- Maintains the Reserve Viewing collection for faculty use in the Library or in other classrooms.
- Open and/or close department as assigned. Provide back-up assistance to open Library as needed.
- Work schedule
Monday - Thursday 8 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 8 pm
Monday - Thursday 2 pm to 10 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 8 pm
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Successful completion one (1) year (30 semester hour credits) in a librarian technician course at an accredited college. Or one (1) year of supervisory experience in practical knowledge of library functions, services, terminology, techniques, procedures and tools.
- Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to converse, speaking clearly concisely and courteously. Effective command of numerical operations.
- Basic computer skills desired.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and take initiative when appropriate.
- Work cooperatively with co-workers.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Salary Range A10: $31,780.78-$44,286.37
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $35,949.31.
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION