Chancellor, Methodist College
Methodist College invites applications from visionary and dynamic leaders for the position of Chancellor.
THE COLLEGE: Methodist College, located in Peoria, Illinois, with roots dating back more than 100 years, is a four-year college affiliated with UnityPoint Health – Peoria that provides a high-quality education in nursing, health sciences, and human services through superb programming and clinical practice. It is governed by a Board of Directors, composed of 12 members who represent the Peoria area community. There are four Colleges within the UnityPoint Health system; Methodist College, Allen College, Saint Luke’s College and Trinity College of Nursing & Health Sciences. The Colleges work in collaboration with each other and support the mission and vision of the hospitals and clinics.
Methodist College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), with the baccalaureate nursing program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Focused on nursing, health sciences, and human services programs, Methodist College offers academic excellence and baccalaureate degree programs that prepare students for a career in healthcare. Its history dates back to 1900, when the deaconesses of the Methodist Episcopal Church opened the Deaconess Home and Hospital and its School of Nursing. In March 2000, today’s Methodist College was established in response to national trends affecting changes in nursing education, the nursing profession, and health care delivery.
THE CHANCELLOR: Methodist College’s next Chancellor must be a dynamic leader and strategic thinker who not only has clear goals and objectives in mind, but also knows how to create a culture of productivity and accountability that drives results in a complex environment. He or she must have both financial/organizational acumen and a long-term vision for academic excellence.
The next Chancellor will lead with humility while exhibiting the confidence and courage to take Methodist College to the next level. She or he must be a collaborative, decisive, visionary leader with a global view who can draw on the tradition and history of Methodist College to move the institution forward through a strategic plan with clearly communicated strategic objectives. This leader will bring new energy to the institution and passionately and articulately convey the College’s path to continued success.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE: Methodist College recognizes that there are many forms of preparation for the presidency. Thus, the College is prepared to evaluate candidates who have traditional academic credentials and experiences as well as candidates who have prepared for this opportunity in other ways.
Essential Skills & Characteristics:
- A talented and recognized academic, community or business leader with knowledge of, and passion for, higher education;
- A leader who excels in developing and articulating a compelling vision and executable plan for all College stakeholders in and outside of the academic community;
- An unwavering commitment to continuous improvement of the student experience;
- Expertise in assessing institutional strengths, opportunities, threats and weaknesses, and using solid analytical skills and exceptional financial acumen to assist in the implementation of the strategic plan and ongoing operations;
- A proven track record of leadership within a complex environment, who conceptually understands leading and blending strategic and operational capabilities not just in one organization but within a system;
- An understanding of important trends and issues affecting higher education;
- The ability and commitment to apply creativity and innovation to deliver high quality education that is accessible and affordable to the diverse students that Methodist College seeks to attract;
- Recognized as a knowledgeable, credible, trustworthy professional;
- Experience in diverse environments, including executive-level responsibility in either an academic institution or other complex organizational setting;
- An operating style and professionalism that enables the academic community to flourish; and
- While a terminal degree is highly valued and greatly preferred, candidates without a terminal degree who demonstrate superior leadership and understand the critical importance of servitude, collaboration, coordination, positive culture and trust among all stakeholders, will also be considered.
Additional Desirable Skills and Experiences include:
- Excellence in relationship-building with all constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, community members and other stakeholders;
- Strong executive presence and management skills with a clear track record of success;
- Proven ability to develop and lead high-performance teams;
- Successful track record as a role model for senior leaders, faculty, staff and students where candor, reality-based and constructive dialogue are encouraged and welcomed;
- A trusted leader with sound judgment and decision-making capability; able to handle pressure and manage difficult, complex challenges with calm professionalism;
- Ability to immediately establish credibility and respect as a leader, possessing outstanding communication and interpersonal skills; and
- A commitment to teamwork, team building, providing partnerships and involvement in decision-making; a commitment to shared governance and decision-making.
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting Methodist College with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm. Nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence and candidates will remain confidential until the final stage of the search, at which time the express permission of finalists will be obtained before making their candidacy public. In addition, no contact to references will be made without prior approval of the candidate.
For more information about Methodist College and the Chancellor role, please review this document: Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t work in this advertisement, please go to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Applications will be held in confidence and should be submitted through the Consensus Search Support System – not via email. Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.)
- Curriculum vitae/résumé.
Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format through the Consensus Search Support System: https://highereddecisions.com/efl/current_vacancies.asp
- Application deadline is March 12, 2018.
- The ideal start date is June 2018, but is negotiable.
Methodist College is an equal access/equal opportunity employer and shall recruit, employ, evaluate, assign, promote, or dismiss employees in compliance with all federal and state legislation pertaining to non-discrimination.
Confidential inquiries, questions and nominations may be directed to:
Steve Waldron, J.D.
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Ms. Angela Lilje
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates