Executive Director of Internal Auditing
Minnesota State invites applications and nominations for Executive Director of Internal Auditing
The Executive Director of Internal Audit is the senior auditor responsible for managing and directing the Minnesota State Office of Internal Audit. This office provides independent, objective evaluation and consulting activities designed to add value to, protect, and strengthen Minnesota State and the 37 state colleges and universities.
The role involves particular emphasis on assessing whether system programs operate in accordance with state and federal law, board policy, and system procedures. The executive director is a member of the chancellor's senior management team and reports to the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board of Trustees, which is appointed by the Governor of Minnesota.
Note: Limited in-state travel.
About Minnesota State
Minnesota State is the largest single provider of higher education in the state. With 37 institutions, including 30 community and technical and seven state universities, Minnesota State serves 58 percent of the state's undergraduate student population.
Students and employers alike count on Minnesota State to provide an extraordinary education. Our colleges and universities are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and many of the academic programs offered have received specialized accreditations. Our faculty, too, are credentialed, experienced, and dedicated.
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate business discipline with an accounting emphasis
- A minimum of five years of comprehensive audit experience in a complex business environment, preferably in a higher education, government service, or other similar environment
- Knowledge of Government Auditing Standards (GAS), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), and other recognized auditing and accounting practices with particular reference to government auditing and accounting
- Knowledge of advanced accounting and auditing techniques, concepts, terminology, and procedures
- Knowledge of, or the ability to research, federal, state, and local laws as well as other policies and regulations pertaining to audit processes
- Competence in information technology tools and resources related to directing the activities of the office
- Knowledge of survey techniques, methods of productivity analysis, and statistics
- Ability to apply governmental accounting and auditing principles, standards, methods and techniques
- Ability to analyze the adequacy of internal control systems
- Experience performing complex analytical examinations of governmental financial and operational data
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a high degree of initiative, judgment, and decision making with brief general direction
- Evidenced ability to prepare and deliver well-written, professional reports and presentations of comprehensive audits or complex non-audit projects
- A passion for and demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Supervisory experience with a demonstrated ability to inspire, motivate, and professionally cultivate staff
- Master's degree
- CPA, CIA, or CISA certification
- Prior experience in higher education finance or internal auditing
- Supervisory experience in an auditing department
Nominations, Inquiries, and Search Timeline
CliftonLarsonAllen LLP, an executive search firm, is assisting Minnesota State with the Executive Director search.
Application materials should include a cover letter, a current resume and five professional references. Priority consideration given to applications received by January 31, 2018.
Email application materials to:
Executive Search Consultant
The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. Candidates with hearing or speech disabilities may contact us via preferred telecommunications relay services.
To learn more about Minnesota State, please visit minnstate.edu