Senior Library Assistant
Posting Date November 14, 2017
Position Title Senior Library Assistant
Vacancy # VC-386
Department Library Technical Services
Division Academic Affairs
Under the direction of the departmental head is responsible for staffing the desk, circulating materials, and stacks maintenance. Does related work as required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist patrons, including performing routine transactions at the Circulation Desk using the OCLC Workflow Management System (WMS) Circulation client and the WorldCat Discovery online library catalog (e.g., locating books, checking out books, checking in books, collecting fines and fees, registering new patrons, lending Print Reserves materials and Group Study Room keys), responding to queries about other departmental services (e.g., placing a Hold on books that are in the Stacks or checked out, recalling books that are checked out, requesting searches for books that may be missing from the Stacks, accessing items in the Electronic Reserves collection, etc.), and troubleshooting patron problems, etc.
- Assist in training and supervising hourly employees, and student assistants in routine Circulation Desk Area and Stacks operation procedures. Assist in evaluating student assistants who work in the Desk and Stacks Areas.
- Perform Stacks Area duties, including retrieving books and other items from bins and tables in the Circulating Books collection Stacks Areas (i.e., pick-ups), sorting, shelving, shelf reading, and shifting, etc.
- Close the building Monday through Thursday and Saturday nights.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- One (1) year of experience in library work.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Punctuality, reliability, excellent attendance required.
- Able to work flexible schedule.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Some computer skills and clerical experience.
- Must be able to lift (up to 50 pounds) and bend.
- Good judgment and initiative.
- Detail oriented, accurate.
- Team player and work cooperatively with co-workers.
- Able to work independently.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Salary Range A10: $31,780.78-$44,286.37
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $35,949.31.
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single document (PDF or MS Word) via the apply link.*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION