Laboratory Coordinator, Center for Power Optimization of Electro-Thermal Systems - College of Engin
Power Optimization of Electro-Thermal Systems (POETS)
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The National Science Foundation Engineering Research Center for Power Optimization of Electro-Thermal Systems (POETS) is soliciting applications for the position of Laboratory Coordinator focused on prototyping and testing electrified power systems including thermal management. The increase of power density for mobile electrified systems requires extensive sub-system and system level testing of new technologies prior to deploying them commercially. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. This position will report to the POETS Director and will be located at the POETS test facility, a new space developed in the Research Park at Illinois. The expected start date is as soon as possible following the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
POETS' long-term goal is to increase the power density of current mobile electrified systems by 10-100 times over current state of the art systems. While ambitious, this would have a profound impact on a mobile electrified infrastructure of the U.S. and beyond. On-highway vehicles could save between 100-300 million liters of fuel per year and could nearly double the range of all-electric vehicles. Off-highway vehicles could save approximately 100 billion liters of fuel since their electrification is starting from a less mature point than current on-highway vehicles. Similarly, aircraft could see 10-30 billion liters of fuel saved as well as up to 10 million tons of CO2 saved from going into the high altitude atmosphere. These economic and environmental impacts are just the beginning of the art of the possible with the achievement of the POETS vision. More information about POETS is available at: http://poets-erc.org/
Duties and Responsibilities
- B.S. in Engineering and five years of relevant work experience, or M.S. in Engineering and three years of relevant work experience, or equivalent
- Ability to manage personnel safety aspects of working in a medium-voltage test facility with rotating machinery
- Demonstrated experience prototyping and testing related to power and thermal systems for high density electronics
- Ability and willingness to use common tools required to perform routine maintenance and inspection tasks
- Ability and willingness to perform outreach to identify new business opportunities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to develop, write, and critique technical papers and research proposals
- Ability to represent the center to the public and interface effectively with industrial clients during tours and visits
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Possess excellent organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Possess strong communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work with diverse populations as well as contribute to the diversity of our campus community
- M.S. in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering and 5 years of relevant work experience or equivalent
- Experience with outreach and business development; as a lead individual or as a core contributor to a larger team
- Ability to provide samples of power electronic or thermal management prototypes built
- Demonstrated experience with Matlab/Simulink™ and Labview
- Demonstrated experience with microcontrollers and digital signal processors
- Proficiency with CAD tools such as AutoCAD, Solidworks, PSpice or SABER
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by November 7, 2017. Interviews may take place prior the closing date and early applications are encouraged; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Summer Redman at email@example.com or 217-300-5400.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Laboratory Coordinator, Center for Power Optimization of Electro-Thermal Systems - College of Engineering Administration (A1700549)
Open Date: 09/07/2017
Organization Name: Engineering Administration