Instructor, English as a Second Language (ESL)
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, English as a Second Language (ESL) for Las Positas College in Livermore, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, English as a Second Language (ESL)
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 3FLA10
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Las Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
Department Arts and Humanities
1. Ability to teach beginning through college level grammar, reading, and composition.
2. Ability to motivate students from a variety of cultural, educational, socioeconomic, and language backgrounds.
3. Commitment to working successfully as a team with colleagues and other instructors in curriculum development, assessment, and related issues in the ESL program.
4. Ability to work with colleagues in a variety of disciplines to support the academic and vocational needs of non-native speakers.
5. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
6. Ability to adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles.
7. Willingness to participate in campus professional activities, which may include, but are not limited to, committee membership, staff development, collegial meetings and community outreach.
8. Flexibility to teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, distance learning, and/or off campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment.
9. Ability to interact successfully with others.
10. Evidence of sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis or education with a TESL emphasis
Bachelor’s in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate
Master’s in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading, speech or any foreign language
OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Experience teaching all levels of ESL to diverse student populations.
2. Familiarity and experience in using computer-assisted language learning techniques.
3. Additional education or training in an area of specialization.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F35P
Open Date 01/12/2018
Close Date 02/15/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Describe the key elements of teaching academic literacy within the context of a multilevel ESL program. Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe the roles of an effective ESL instructor at a community college. Limit your response to 300 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER