Instructor, Fire Service Technology
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking an Instructor, Fire Service Technology position for Las Positas College in Livermore, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, Fire Service Technology
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 3FSS14
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $57,665 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Las Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
Department Math, Science, Engineering & Public Safety
1. Ability to effectively and enthusiastically teach Fire Service Technology courses, including, but not limited to: State Fire Marshall accredited courses leading to State and National Certification, the Basic Firefighter Academy and Wildland Firefighting, Fire Protection Organization, Fire Service Operations, Firefighter Safety and Survival, Fire Behavior and Combustion, Fire Prevention Technology, Fire Equipment and Systems, Fundamentals of Building Construction and Fire Protection, Hazardous Material, Fire Command Services, Fire Prevention, Fire Investigations, Fire Instructor.
2. Ability to coordinate the program and program related duties, including managing instructional equipment and firefighting apparatus, and community outreach as assigned, and including timely compliance with reporting and administrative responsibilities associated with program specific accreditation and compliance including courses offered in conjunction with local agencies.
3. Ability to design and implement innovative teaching methodologies in the above mentioned curriculum.
4. Recruit, mentor, and advise adjunct instructors and professional experts.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of current state and national curriculum and accreditation standards for course and program development and instruction.
6. Ability to develop partnerships with the local community (e.g. industry, public agencies or facilities, K-12, ROP, and Explorer programs), and recruit for and serve on program advisory boards.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of methods of instruction, testing, and assessment of students.
8. Commitment to effective collaboration with administrators, faculty, staff, and public safety program faculty and manager to increase support and success for students.
9. Participate in campus professional activities, which include, but are not limited to: committee membership, curriculum development, staff meetings, and community outreach.
10. Ability to contribute to the total operation of the instructional program including fulfilling Department, Division, and College responsibilities as well as within the community and the District.
11. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form.
12. Ability to adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles, and utilize a variety of teaching modalities including distance and hybrid learning.
13. Ability to seek and support professional growth and demonstrate career objectives consistent with the mission of Las Positas College.
14. Availability to teach morning, afternoon, evening, weekend, distance learning, and/or off-campus classes when scheduled as part of the regular teaching assignment, to teach outdoors and in sometimes inclement conditions, as well as the ability to effectively demonstrate operational firefighting techniques.
15. Ability to seek and support professional growth and demonstrate career objectives consistent with the mission of Las Positas College.
16. Evidence of a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Any bachelor’s degree or higher and two years of professional experience, OR any associate degree and six years of professional experience OR equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Teaching experience in Fire Service Technology a the college level.
2. Certificates, or the equivalent certificates for: Fire Instructor 1A, 1B and 1C Training Instructor, Regional Instructor Orientation, Ethical Leadership in the Classroom.
3. Registered Instructor: Verified with a signed letter from State Fire Marshal indicating the courses the applicant is qualified to teach.
4. California State Fire Marshal Skills Evaluator.
5. California State Fire Marshal Registered Instructor.
6. Experience as a training program coordinator and/or supervisor or manager in the fire service.
7. Demonstrated experience teaching the most current Firefighter I Curriculum at an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP) or Accredited Local Academy (ALA).
8. Demonstrated experience performing Firefighter I Skills Evaluations using the EVALS Platform at an Accredited Regional Training Program (ARTP) or Accredited Local Academy (ALA).
9. Experience with youth outreach.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F38P
Open Date 01/12/2018
Close Date 02/28/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
In no more than one page, provide a discussion of your teaching philosophy for Fire Service Technology and what you believe are your responsibilities to Fire Service Technology students. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
In no more than one page, describe a training program or course you have taught and the target audience. Provide detail about the agency you taught for, course structure, and your actual duties in the learning setting. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 2."
(Open Ended Question)
Provide a sample course syllabus, written by you, for an introductory Fire Service Technology course. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 3."
(Open Ended Question)
In no more than one page, discuss a personal innovation that you have used to improve student success. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 4."
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Response to Supplemental Question 2
- Response to Supplemental Question 3
- Response to Supplemental Question 4
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER