Instructor, Mathematics (2 Positions)
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking to fill two Instructor, Mathematics positions for Las Positas College in Livermore, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
Job Title Instructor, Mathematics (2 Positions)
Position Type Faculty
Position Code 3FSM17/3FSM18
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary) $62,035 - $88,687/annual
Job Location Las Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
Department Math, Science, Engineering & Public Safety
1. Ability to teach all levels of mathematics courses taught at Las Positas College.
2. Show enthusiasm for teaching mathematics.
3. Ability to use technology and computers in support of instruction in mathematics, including distance education.
4. Commitment to working with other Mathematics and STEM faculty and staff to increase support and success for students in all math and STEM courses.
5. Teach part of assignment in individualized/student-self-accelerated mode.
6. Work one-on-one with students in the College’s Math Learning Center.
7. Commitment to working successfully as a team with other Mathematics instructors and colleagues.
8. Ability to adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles and abilities.
9. A general understanding and use of technology in college process and communication.
10. Participate in campus professional activities, which include, but are not limited to, development of curriculum and new and innovative instructional approaches, committee membership, staff meetings and community outreach.
11. Teach late afternoon, evening, weekend, distance learning and/or off-campus classes when scheduled as part of regular teaching assignment.
12. Participate in articulation and recruitment activities as assigned.
13. Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
14. Ability to seek and support personal creativity and professional growth and demonstrate career objectives consistent with the mission of Las Positas College.
15. Ability to interact successfully with others.
16. Evidence of a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and learning disabilities.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master’s in mathematics or applied mathematics
Bachelor’s in either of the above
Master’s in statistics, physics or mathematics education
OR the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2018 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
1. Previous community college mathematics teaching experience.
Job Work Schedule
This position is full-time, tenure track, beginning Fall 2018. Employment will begin on or about August 16, 2018.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number F36P
Open Date 01/12/2018
Close Date 02/28/2018
Open Until Filled No
Notification to Applicants
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Please list all mathematics (undergraduate and graduate) courses taken. In table form, include course name, course number, number of units, grade received, and indicate whether quarter or semester-length, and whether graduate or undergraduate level. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 1."
(Open Ended Question)
Please list all mathematics courses you have taught (if any). In table form, include course name, course number, number of units, indicate whether quarter or semester-length, and what level of educational institution (elementary, secondary, post-secondary). Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 2."
(Open Ended Question)
Discuss two of your favorite topics to teach in mathematics courses at the community college level. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 3." Limit your response to 500 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Discuss a personal innovation that you have used successfully in teaching a mathematics class. Upload a document and submit using the applicant document called "Response to Supplemental Question 4." Limit your response to 500 words.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Personal Qualifications Statement
- Response to Supplemental Question 1
- Response to Supplemental Question 2
- Response to Supplemental Question 3
- Response to Supplemental Question 4
- Other Document
- Equivalency Statement
CHABOT-LAS POSITAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER