Senior UNIX Administrator
Provide day-to-day operational support for our Unix servers and other system infrastructure. Responsible for performing a variety of tasks requiring excellent technical problem solving skills, a solid understanding of the network operating systems, and strong understanding of LAN/WAN networking.
• Develop and assist with Configuration Management methodology utilizing tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt, etc.
• Interact with our University and Laboratory personnel to coordinate system events with end users
• Work as member of a senior team to solve Tier 2 items and be conduit for issues between Tier1 and Tier2 teams
• Work with IT leadership and internal IT customers to define future requirements and roadmap
• Administer and support deployment for inventory, provisioning, and patch management for servers in production and development environments
• Deploy, configure and support Unix based software packages and operating systems
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure /add new services as necessary
• Review and solve issues involving system performance, configuration, restoration, applications and software tools
• Responsibilities may sometimes require working evenings and weekends
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
• Relevant experience with demonstrated knowledge of system administration
• Experience with bare metal systems/servers building and preparation
• Extensive experience in support and maintenance of both hardware and virtual environments supporting Linux
• Extensive experience with RedHat and CentOs
• Familiar with UNIX infrastructure and programs including NIS, DNS, LDAP and auto-provisioning technology
• Ability to occasionally lift 30 lbs.
• Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
• Installation and maintenance experience with a variety of 3rd party software for Linux administration and development
• Experience with scripting, e.g. shell scripting and Python and other dynamic scripting languages
• Experience with other Linux variants CentOS, SUSE, etc.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act require that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment admissions, and educational programs. Inquires may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter 2 - Curriculum Vitae This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: Jan 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00742630