Veterinary Services Manager, BUMC Lab Animal Scienes Center
VETERINARY SERVICES MANAGER, BUMC Lab Animal Science Center
Tracking Code 8992/H1817 Job Description
The Veterinary Service Manager (VSM) is responsible for supporting veterinary clinical staff in all aspects of animal care and use within ASC, all facilities, all campuses including NEIDL biocontainment (ABSL-2, & 3).
The incumbent has primary responsibility for coordinating and implementing established animal management programs (e.g. health surveillance, import/export) as well as new ones.
The VSM is responsible for the mentoring and managing of ASC veterinary technicians with the goal of insuring they are technically competent and functioning efficiently within their roles.
The VSM directs the fiscal management of cost recovery of veterinary services and manages the inventory, ordering, receipt of veterinary supplies and equipment.
The incumbent acts as a focal contact and communications manager with PIs, arranging for provision of services including training in technical procedures, scheduling and management of special requirements particularly protocols requiring surgical procedures and the skills of veterinary staff.
Vocational or technical degree and 3-5 years of experience required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
At least 3 years of biomedical research experience including supervision of other employees required. Moving mechanical parts, fumes, airborne particles, lab animal caging, wet or humid conditions, biohazard materials.
The National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is part of a national network of secure facilities that study infectious diseases – whether they occur naturally or are introduced deliberately through bioterrorism. The NEIDL is dedicated to the development of diagnostics, vaccines and therapeutics to combat emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. In addition to Bio Safety Level (BSL)-2 and BSL-3 laboratories, the NEIDL houses BSL-4 laboratories that will operate at the highest level of containment. The NEIDL will add to the growing life sciences industry in the region, throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and across the country.
Individuals seeking affiliation with or employment within the NEIDL may be subject to the following suitability requirements. Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in ineligibility for employment or affiliation:
- Criminal Background Check:To be completed in accordance with BU Public Safety guidelines and all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Basic Background Check:Includes, but is not limited to, verification of:
- Social Security Number;
- Academic credentials;
- Past employment;
- Licenses and credentials;
- Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI) check;
- Credit history check;
- RMV/DMV driving record, if required.
- Medical Clearance Process:includes Research Occupational Health Program (ROHP) evaluation, drug screening, initial psychological screening, and immunization/titer level review completed in accordance with NEIDL Medical Surveillance Policy for all employees working at the NEIDL.
- Training and Education:to be completed in accordance with Section 8, Ongoing Personnel Reliability Program, for all employees working at the NEIDL.
Individuals seeking or required to have approval to work with Select Agents will be subject to the following additional requirements:
- Department of Justice Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting:To be completed in accordance with CDC requirements as part of application to have access to Select Agents.
- Select Agent Use Approval:to be completed in accordance with all regulations including the requirements of the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
Please note, any individual working in the NEIDL facility and granted unescorted access, is subject to
- periodic background reviews, including but not limited to: criminal background, credit history, drug screening, and behavioral evaluations;
- periodic checks and regular renewals of security credentials, any applicable licenses, and verification of the successful completion of any required training at the facility
- Search of person, clothing and effects prior to entry into or egress from NEIDL
When applicable, individuals will be required to maintain all applicable clearances and licenses and to disclose any changes in circumstances that could compromise access to the facility.
Continued employment/ affiliation is contingent upon strict adherence, at all times, to all applicable safety and security rules, procedures, and protocols, as well as required training regimens.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Must successfully pass NEIDL and associated background checks as determined by the University at the time of hire or promotion advancement and continue to meet standards of the background check throughout the period of employment. Should person(s) resign from NEIDL assignments and/or failure to comply with NEIDL Personnel Suitability Policy and/or meet acceptable job performance, persons may be terminated and are eligible to apply for other ASC position if vacancy exist.