Content Development Intern
Content Development Intern
New York, New York
At ITHAKA, we think nothing is better than knowing we are having a positive impact on the world. We impact the lives of millions of people and thousands of institutions every day both in groundbreaking ways and in small ways that mean a lot.
As a not-for-profit organization, we care deeply about our mission. We work with leaders in the global higher education community to advance and preserve knowledge, to improve teaching and learning through the use of digital technologies, and to help broaden access to higher education by reducing the cost while also improving student outcomes. We are passionate about the value of education and are driven to help our universities, colleges, and high schools become better, more affordable, and more effective, and to reach beyond these traditional walls to support learners everywhere.
In two decades, we have launched some of the most transformative and widely used services in higher education: JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R. In addition, ITHAKA recently entered into a strategic alliance with Artstor and furthers a number of Artstor’s initiatives. Our 300+ employees work closely with our user communities, day in and day out, to build and continuously improve upon these services, and to identify new opportunities to expand access to knowledge and learning.. As a successful, growing organization in a demanding and dynamic environment, we challenge ourselves to retain an entrepreneurial spirit that pursues and embraces change.
ITHAKA is headquartered in New York, New York with additional offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Princeton, New Jersey and provides legal oversight and services for, Artstor, also located in New York, New York. We also manage a subsidiary, Ithaka International, LLC. to expand our impact globally.
Mission and Funding
We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization, but our status is a reflection of our mission, not our funding model. Our work across these services is highly valued in the global higher education community, and we cover our costs by collecting fees in exchange for the access, preservation, and research and consulting services we provide. That exerts a real discipline on our operations in that we must continually adapt to the needs of our audiences to be worthy of their support. Thousands of higher education and related institutions around the world are ITHAKA’s primary financial supporters; their JSTOR participation fees provide 88% of ITHAKA’s revenue. Our 99% renewal rate for JSTOR generates stable recurring income, alleviating the dependency on fundraising that many not-for-profits experience. Because the organizations share our commitment to our mission, we have the financial resources necessary to maintain a great work environment that encourages innovation and excellence.
We seek a talented and motivated part-time intern (10-15 hours a week) with a background in Literature to support the editorial and outreach activities of JSTOR’s Content Development team. The Content Development team has a dual purpose to identify and select content and maintain relationships with publishers and content providers. The intern will perform tasks and responsibilities that contribute toward these goals, with projects geared toward the intern’s specific interests and strengths whenever possible.
Bright graduate students with a passion for serving the academic community through new technologies are welcome to apply. Successful candidates will have an outstanding academic record, excellent communication skills, the ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines, and will excel in team environments.
This is a paid internship based in ITHAKA’s New York City office in lower Manhattan that runs for six months from Feb. 1 through July 31st.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
The intern will work on a number of projects that will include the following activities:
- Assist the Content Development team to identify new publications and content for JSTOR. This work involves research into publishing trends and assessing scholarly literature using Content Development’s selection criteria.
- Research and gather information on subject experts to expand JSTOR’s network of advisors.
- Conduct market research for an upcoming collection launch, using data gathering and analysis.
- Compile profiles of participating publishers and publications for internal records.
- Conduct desk and library research on a variety of topics that can range from digital archives to trends within literature and literary studies.
- Contribute to testing activities, such as interviews, surveys, or email campaigns.
- Organizational and administrative work connected to the above, including tracking, and documentation.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
- Excellent research skills; familiarity with online resources for academic research and library catalogs; a creative flair for identifying emerging scholarly needs and ways to meet them.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail; ability to handle and prioritize tasks with limited supervision; ability to meet deadlines; goal-driven.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation skills. Ability to work effectively with scholars and other leaders in the academic community.
- Bachelor’s degree in Literature required; graduate degree in Literature underway or completed required. Experienced independent scholars, scholars who are ABD, as well as emeritus or retired scholars with Literature backgrounds are welcome to apply.
- An interest in pursuing a career in academia, academic publishing, or library and information sciences.
- Possessing a strong understanding of teaching trends within Literature.
- Experience in working with data or Microsoft Excel; strong willingness to learn data skills required.
- Fluency or strong proficiency in a second language a plus.
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place.
How to apply:
Interested candidates can submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements to:
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.