Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Nutrition
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position #677306 - Requisition #12273
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Associate. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for: assisting PI in investigation of the effects of maternal exposures (e.g., diabetes, obesity) on the offspring, using a primary human stem cell model. In addition, this research assistant will work on data management and sample analysis of an infant-feeding trial.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Set-up and perform day-to-day laboratory experiments utilizing techniques that include, but are not limited to:
- Cell culture
- DNA/RNA extraction, quantification
- qPCR, bisulfite conversion, pyrosequencing
- Immunoassays and colorimetric assays.
- Western Blotting
- Use of radioactive materials for metabolic assessments (C-14, H-3)
- Stable isotope analysis of biospecimens
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of experimental findings
- Analyze experimental results
- Prepare figures and tables for publication, grant applications, and progress reports
- Biospecimen handling and organization of many samples from a large cohort
- Conduct literature reviews in PubMed
- Assist with development of laboratory protocols
- General laboratory duties as assigned
- Dietary data entry and database maintenance
- Support submission of materials for human subjects review and approval
- Some weekend hours, as needed
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $35,000 - $40,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
• Bachelor's degree in biology, nutrition, or a related field
• Minimum 3-5 years full-time experience in a research laboratory setting
• Experience performing immunoassays
• Experience in protocol development and optimization
• Proficiency using Microsoft Excel
Condition of Employment
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal background check
- Must be willing and able to work weekends as needed
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrate exceptional organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively while concurrently working on multiple projects
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Capacity to think critically and troubleshoot assays
- Competency to learn new laboratory techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively teach and interact with students
- Master's degree in biology, nutrition, or a related field
- Proficiency with graphing, statistical analysis, and reference software packages
- Evidence of scholarly activity such as authorship on scientific presentations or publications
- Familiarity with Good Clinical Practice and Good Laboratory Practice guidelines
- Experience with ethical review process and submissions
- Experience maintaining cell cultures, experience with primary cells preferred
- Experience performing nucleic acid isolations, purification, quantification
- Experience performing PCR, qPCR, and Western Blotting
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. Professional recommendation letters Questions should be directed to Kristen Boyle [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Reference Letters (Not Confidential)
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20876 - SOM-PEDS Nutrition-SalSvr
Posting Date: Jan 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kristen Boyle
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00677306