Lecturer in Interior Design
LECTURER, INTERIOR DESIGN
Indiana University Bloomington
The School of Art, Architecture, and Design (SoAAD) is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic colleague for a full-time Lecturer position in the Interior Design program (https://soaad.indiana.edu/academics/areas/interior/index.html) to begin in fall 2018.
SOAAD (https://soaad.indiana.edu/) is dedicated to developing a faculty body composed of diverse scholars and practitioners who wish to be part of a Council for Interior Design-accredited program that is at the forefront of integrative design thinking and practice. We seek a forward-thinking colleague who is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and exploration of the convergence of the areas of Design, Art, Architecture, and Merchandising. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to educate emerging leaders in the design fields of tomorrow.
We are looking for candidates who have the capacity to collaborate with colleagues from a broad range of disciplines, have worked with diverse populations, and have academic and/or significant professional experience.
We seek candidates who can provide collegial leadership in a team-based environment. We are especially interested in scholars and practitioners who are prepared to teach foundational concepts and critical thinking in the studio environment, preparing students to be able to respond to the complex global challenges found in the interior design industries.
Position Responsibilities also include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain professional and academic expertise.
- Teach an annual course load of five courses during the 10-month academic year.
- Participate in undergraduate curriculum development.
- Provide departmental, university, and professional service.
All candidates should have:
- A non-terminal bachelor’s or master’s degree in interior design, or a closely-related field, by the start date of employment with significant professional experience in interior design AND/OR a terminal degree in interior design or a closely-related field by the start of employment.
- A portfolio containing evidence of expertise in design work and process, communication of design ideas, and digital design and drafting skill (Note: Please make indication of individual contribution to any collaborative projects presented in portfolio.)
Preferred qualifications include:
- Demonstrated record of college-level teaching, especially in design studios.
- Professional design experience with demonstrated expertise in commercial design, socially responsible and sustainable design, collaborative design, and/or digital design and drafting.
- NCIDQ completion (or progress towards completion).
- Engagement with professional organizations.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Expected start date is: 08/01/2018
Review of applications will begin on February 15, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should review the application requirements and submit their application materials (CV/resume, letter of application including statement about teaching/mentoring philosophy, design portfolio, and names of three references with their contact information (including a current address, phone number and e-mail address)). Interested candidates should review the application requirements and submit applications to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/5227 . Questions regarding the position or application process should be directed to: Megan Tansley, School of Art, Architecture + Design at Indiana University, 127 Fine Arts Building, 1201 East 7th Street, Bloomington, IN 47405. Phone: 812-856-7448. Email: email@example.com
The College of Arts and Sciences is committed to building and supporting a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community of students and scholars. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.