ASST MANAGER, SPECIAL EVENTS
ASST MANAGER, SPECIAL EVENTS
University Center - Events
Scope of Responsibilities
Manage, coordinate and execute the overall operation of the Theater Operations Costume Shop to include costume design, construction, and wardrobe needs in support of productions. Work with guest designers, student groups, and visiting production companies to ensure needs are met according to design and technical riders. Serve as Costume Designer on assigned productions throughout the year in collaboration with the Department of Theater Studies and the American Dance Festival.
Manage the overall operation of the Costume Shop pre-production through strike to ensure an organized, efficient and safe environment. Oversee construction and wardrobe needs - including hair, makeup and costume props. Develop and maintain policies, procedures and standards for the use of the Costume Shop by students and staff that accommodate the needs of all users. Supervise and instruct students and other shop users in sewing skills, shop methods and construction and finishing of garments. Provide training and directions in the use of shop equipment, materials and techniques. Maintain and organize storage, calendar and coordinate schedule for all users. 25
Work with production team to establish priorities and keep expenditures within predetermined time, labor and budget constraints based on approved designs. Maintain and monitor financial records for Costume Shop expenses including labor. Make recommendations regarding equipment purchases. Prepare estimates of time, materials, and equipment required for each production and submit production purchases for recharge. 20
Attend all fittings, meetings, technical and dress rehearsals for productions. Organize and coordinate strike of costume related items, including dry cleaning, storage, cataloguing of items and rental returns. Establishes dress calls, advise Stage Manager on backstage layout, costume plot, dressing lists and coordinate all backstage costume activities. Implement decisions regarding costume construction, interpret renderings and recommend materials and techniques. Research historical information and design, or assist guest designer with project concept regarding period, patterning and execution. 20
Serve as Costume Designer on theater and dance productions on an as needed basis. Responsible for collaborating with directors and other designers on artistic vision and execution of production elements related to costumes, footwear, wigs, hair pieces and properties. Create original designs, produce concept art, budget proposal, renderings and swatches. Meet all preliminary and final design deadlines. 15
Hire, train and supervise student employees and process timecards as needed. Hire and supervise contract labor as required to complete work within budgetary guidelines. Coordinate and supervise the efforts of student performing arts organizations. 10
Coordinate and administer periodic workshops related to theatrical costume design and techniques. 5
Perform related duties as assigned or required to meet department, division and University goals and objectives. 5
• Education: Work requires knowledge of costume design and construction normally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program, preferably in Theater Arts or related field. Master's degree strongly preferred.
• Experience: Work requires a minimum of 1 year of practical work experience in the preparation, design and construction of theatre costumes. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Job-Specific Skills and Competencies
• Extensive knowledge of costume history, construction techniques and fabric required
• Budgetary experience preferred
• Strong verbal, quantitative, and organizational skills
• Ability to work with students, artists and designers, anticipating the needs of each while balancing the workroom's ability to complete the work on schedule
• Strong personnel management skills required
• Flexible, focused and well-organized team player
• Ability to work quickly and accurately with attention to detail
• Must be computer literate
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Valid NC driver's license required. Must complete and maintain required compliance, vehicle safety checks, and training in order to remain eligible to drive Duke vehicles.
• Ability to work under the following conditions: walking or standing for extended periods of time including frequent use of stairs and step ladders; twist, turn, bend, reach and work overhead; tolerate exposure to common laundry chemicals. Must be able to work nights and weekends, as required.
• Ability to carry, lift, push and/or pull items up to 50 pounds
2537 ASST MANAGER, SPECIAL EVENTS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skillsgenerally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of coordination or management experience in theevent management field or a directly related field.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.