RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II - DHVI
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II - DHVI
Duke Human Vaccine Institute - Admin
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II, DHVI
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead with cutting edge research to combat infectious diseases that impact global health. The investigators at the DHVI conduct basic and translational research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics.
With a new Pandemic Prevention Program (P3), we will be combining DHVI investigators' world-class expertise in virology, immunology and clinical good manufacturing practice to create a fully integrated platform capable of responding to a viral pandemic threat. One aspect of the program will focus on testing novel therapeutic strategies in small animal models (mice and ferrets) in the Duke Regional Biocontainment Laboratory.
We are recruiting a Research Technician II to perform the day-to-day research laboratory activities to meet the specific goals of this exciting new program and other funded programs in the DHVI/Duke RBL to develop vaccines and therapeutics for infectious diseases.
- Perform all tasks associated with small animal models of treatment/challenge in multiple species including, but not limited to, mice and ferrets.
- Prepare samples for and perform immunological assays including, but not limited to, ELISA and gene expression arrays.
- Confer with Principal Investigator / Immunology Unit Manager to review work assignments and develop plans for experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular study as required.
- General laboratory maintenance including but not limited to: waste processing, glassware cleaning, laboratory organization, preparation of solutions, ordering/preparation/stocking of consumables and reagents as needed, maintaining accurate inventory of refrigerator and freezer contents.
- Attend all required training.
- Manage and complete all assigned tasks/projects in accordance with standardized operating procedures and in full compliance with safety protocols.
- Complete and maintain necessary documentation of research activities according to standardized record keeping in real time.
- Collect and organize raw data into reports for interpretation and analysis.
- Perform additional duties as requested by direct supervisor, Immunology Unit Manager and Scientific/Administrative Directors.
Bachelor's degree in biology, immunology, virology, microbiology or other related scientific field.
Two years of related virology or microbiology research preferred.
The successful applicant must be eligible for and willing to:
- Complete external certification for independent work at Biological Safety Level 3 (BSL3) and animal BSL3 (ABSL3).
- Work with infectious biological agents (viruses) handled at BSL2 and BSL3.
- Work with animal models of experimental vaccination and viral challenge handled at ABSL2 and ABSL3.
- Comply with vaccination requirements.
- Complete Tier 1 Select Agent registration.
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or otherscience related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.