Professor of Sign Language/English Interpreting and American Sign Language
Professor of Sign Language/English Interpreting and American Sign Language
Mt. San Antonio College
Job Category: Faculty
Time (Percent Time): 100%
Term (months/year): 10 months/year
Current Work Schedule (days, hours): As assigned
Salary Range: Faculty Schedule
Salary: Initial placement, $65,837 - $98,256 annually
Health & Welfare: The College contributes $12,159 toward annual premiums for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees. The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and MetLife Social Security Alternative Plan. *Subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Department: Sign Language
Open Date: 01/05/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
• Teach all courses within the Interpreting Program, teach all levels of American Sign Language 1-5
• Teach assigned courses in accordance with assigned course outline of record
• Promote and support students training to be Sign Language Interpreters and the Sign Language Interpreting profession
• Develop partnerships with interpreting internship/mentorship programs and assist Interpreting students with finding initial placement in work related internships/mentorships
• Conduct articulation assessments for in-coming High School students and assist in the advanced placement of ASL students
• Participate in curriculum development and review, program advisory board, learning outcome development and assessments, grants relevant to program, serve on College committees as necessary to maintain and improve the instructional program, and participate in appropriate professional development activities
• Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities and College, division, and department policies
• Collaborate effectively with other faculty, staff, and administrators to plan, develop, and execute related programs
• Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methods including online courses, and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions
• Promote a Deaf/ASL friendly campus environment
• Maintain scheduled office and campus hours, and participate in department/division meetings and committees
• Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required as part of the regular contract
Skills and Abilities:
Minimum Qualifications/Education & Experience:
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
1. Any Bachelor’s degree AND a minimum of two full-time years of related work experience (provide evidence of experience in both disciplines); OR
2. Any Associate degree AND a minimum of six full-time
years of related work experience (provide evidence of experience in both disciplines); OR
3. The equivalent (must attach an Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form) OR
4. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed. Code § 87355 (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential AND transcripts must be submitted with the application.)
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
C. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English.
All candidates not holding the stated minimum qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency must complete the Equivalency Determination Supplemental form to be considered
• Master’s degree in Interpreting Studies/Pedagogy, Sign Language Education, Deaf Studies, or a related field
• National certification recognized by Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (i.e. NIC, CI, CT, CSC, NAD III-V, CDI)
• Native or near-native fluency in American Sign Language
• Experience teaching Sign Language/English Interpreting, ASL, and/or ASL-English Translation courses
• Extensive Deaf-World experience
• Experience working with students training to be Sign Language Interpreters
• Commitment to the advancement of the Sign Language Interpreting profession
License(s) & Other Requirements:
The incumbent may periodically be required to get to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
Instructions re: Confidential Letter of Recommendation:
Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10-month contract position that begins in the 2018-19 academic year. Placement on the salary schedule is based on formal education, full-time and/or part-time teaching, and related work experience, up to a maximum placement at step 9.
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees - The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: http://www.mtsac.edu/safety/pdf/2014ASRFinal.pdf
Typing Certificate Requirements:
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on February 28, 2018 are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application
2. A cover letter addressing how duties & responsibilities, required qualifications, and preferred qualifications are met
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position
4. A minimum of three letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation or any of the required documents)
5. College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
6. Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form: All candidates not holding the stated minimum qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency, must complete this form to be considered.
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected]
TRAVEL POLICY: Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to $500 maximum. Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
THE MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE DISTRICT WILL NOT SPONSOR ANY VISA APPLICATIONS.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected]
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview. Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The committee will recommend finalists to the President/CEO and/or Vice President of Instruction for a second interview. The number of vacancies is dependent on student enrollment, College resources, needs, and Board of Trustees’ approval. The starting date will be August 27, 2018 following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to complete and submit your application for this position.
It is the policy of Mt. San Antonio College that harassment is prohibited and that all persons shall receive equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, age (over 40), medical condition (cancer), mental disability, physical disability (including HIV & AIDS), marital status, sexual orientation, or Veteran Status. This nondiscrimination policy covers Family and Medical Care Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave. Contact the Office of Human Resources if you need any special accommodations to complete the application process at 909.274.4225. Mt. San Antonio College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Conflict of Interest:
Conflict of Interest
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION. THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
To apply, visit: https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/