Vice President of Finance, Chief Financial Officer
ACE is the major coordinating body for the nation’s colleges and universities. Under the leadership of President Ted Mitchell, ACE represents nearly 1,800 college and university presidents and the executives at related associations, and is the only major higher education association to represent all types of U.S. accredited, degree-granting institutions: two-year and four-year, public and private. Our strength lies in our loyal and diverse base of member institutions, 75 percent of which have been with ACE for over 10 years. That loyalty stands as a testament to the value derived from our membership. We convene representatives from all sectors to collectively tackle the toughest higher education challenges, with a focus on improving access and preparing every student to succeed.
ACE seeks a financial leader to join a highly talented senior management team. The new vice president of Finance, chief financial officer will direct the financial affairs of the organization in concert with this team. The successful candidate will be expected to aid in the strategic planning and execution of several entrepreneurial activities and partnerships that characterize, embrace and promote ACE’s mission. In addition, the person will be responsible for the budgeting, accounting and treasury functions for this $40 million dollar per year enterprise.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES OR TASKS:
- Provides analysis and recommendations to inform program decisions, new initiatives, and the allocation of capital and financial resources.
- Prepares short and long-term financial plans, analyses and forecasting to assist the president and senior management in setting strategic priorities and implementing initiatives.
- Provides leadership and oversight for a financial services staff of 12 employees
- Responsible for overall financial risk management strategy and planning.
- Serves in support of strategy and planning including new business ventures.
- Supports ACE’s Board of Directors Audit and Finance Committees and supports the ACE President in communicating to the Board regarding strategic financial matters.
- Manages relationships with financial institutions, investment managers, auditors, insurance and tax advisors and other consultants.
- Ensures the accuracy of accounting and financial procedures in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and non-profit best practices.
- Directs the preparation of annual budget; assists all departments in preparing their departmental budgets and plans; and presents the budget to the Board of Directors.
- Prepares regular financial and statistical analysis of operations for the president and for the Board of Directors and senior managers.
- Monitors income and expense throughout the year and recommends modifications in operations as required to maintain financial health and achieve mission goals.
- Manages treasury-related activities, including investments.
- Promotes and ensures a culture of financial transparency, consistent communication, and meaningful collaboration with senior level colleagues and other ACE staff.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS :
- Master’s degree preferred and 10- 15 years of progressive leadership experience in a financial management role.
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and sustaining effective working relationships with management, peers, and subordinates
- Experience as part of a senior management team and with Boards
- Skill in communicating technical, financial, and analytically derived information to a diverse audience
- Skill in identifying emerging issues and recommending appropriate actions
- Demonstrated success in managing people, building strong and effective teams and mentoring professionals
- Excellent presentation skills
- High energy level, strong sense of initiative, creative problem-solving, flexibility, discretion and judgment
- Ability to work in a highly consultative environment
ACE is conveniently located near the Dupont Circle Metro station in downtown Washington, DC. We offer a highly competitive salary, a very impressive benefits package and a dynamic working environment with exceptional colleagues. Please visit our website for more information about ACE at www.acenet.edu. Please apply to the position by submitting a resume and cover letter to the employment section of our website:
The American Council on Education is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.