Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manager
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Planning, Operations, and Construction (POC) and in collaboration with your colleagues, manage design and construction projects such as additions, refurbishments, remodels, and new construction on University properties. Management will include planning through design, construction, and project closeout. Closely collaborate with your colleagues in the Department of Design and Construction (DDC), Department of Facilities Services (DFS), Planning, Operations, and Construction (POC), Department of Public Safety (DPS), Information Technology, administration, and other University departments to initiate and deliver projects of high aesthetic and functional quality, on budget and on schedule.
- Manage planning, budgeting, design, consultant and contractor selection, pre-construction, bidding, agency approvals, construction management, quality assurance, closeout, and project turnover for operations and maintenance.
- Provide technical expertise and perform research pertaining to project specifications and construction means, methods, and materials. Conduct feasibility analyses and cost estimating for requested projects.
- Serving as the Owner's Representative, coordinate activities on assigned projects performed by staff, contractors, consultants, and other vendors. Prepare, review, track, process, and otherwise manage project documentation including programs, plans, specifications, RFIs, schedules, submittals, budgets, change orders, payment requests, and status reports.
- Monitor work for compliance with applicable codes, industry standards, best practices, Pepperdine standards, and contract requirements. Exercise foresight and good judgment in order to recognize when problems are developing in projects, and then initiate appropriate corrective actions to manage budget, schedule, quality, and client expectations. Track progress of each project against goals, objectives, approved budgets, and approved timelines.
- Manage multiple contractors and vendors, including the solicitation and review of proposals. Write RFQs and RFPs and administer those processes for various projects. Ensure effective communication and coordination among all internal and external participants and stakeholders. Coordinate project activities with University departments such as DFS, DDC, Public Safety, Information Technology, Regulatory Affairs, Events, University administrators, and project stakeholders, to ensure that all parties are well-informed and that work proceeds on schedule with minimal impact to University operations. Research, prepare, and present reports and presentations as requested.
- Participate in continuous departmental process improvement. Participate in POC initiatives, strategic planning, organizational planning, risk management, and executive reporting, in addition to problem solving. Collaborate with DDC management to coordinate internal resources. As needed, and under the Executive Director of Planning, Operations, and Construction, assign Project Managers and key staff to projects and assignments. Responsibilities may include supervision of regular and/or temporary staff. Collaborate and communicate with campus stakeholders (Facilities, Public Safety, University Events, Special Programs, Regulatory Affairs, Deans, Administrators, etc.) and University decision-makers as appropriate to ensure that all parties are well-informed and that work proceeds on schedule with minimum adverse impacts to other campus departments and activities.
- Senior Project Manager will facilitate client interaction, proactive project planning, coordination, communication, and notification inside and outside the University. As needed, act as Owner's (University's) Representative, oversee external support including management of contract project managers, consultants, contractors, vendors, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
- The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, or closely related field, with a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience in project management or a Bachelor's degree in another discipline with a minimum of five (5) years of relevant management experience in engineering, construction project management, design or related field. Competency with Microsoft Office. General knowledge of construction practices, principles and techniques in the AEC field, design and construction means and methods and industry standard project management processes. Willingness and ability to periodically work extended hours, holidays, and respond to emergency calls after hours/weekends. Normal mobility and ability move around constructions sites and to lift and carry 30 pounds, including up and down stairs.
Preferred: Working knowledge of AutoCAD is preferred. Formal AutoCAD training is desirable.
Qualified individuals must be willing to support the mission of Pepperdine University, articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening.
This is a restricted, exempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experiencePepperdine University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, disability, or prior military service. Federal guidelines recognize the right of church-related institutions to seek personnel who will support the goals of the institution, including the right to select members of the church to which the institution is related.