When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
Position Code: SRACT
Job Type: Full-time
Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, some evenings and weekends during peak cycles
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Position Location: Longmeadow, MA
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the accuracy of the general ledger, assisting with creating, entering and maintaining the budget in Jenzabar. The Senior Accountant assists with the development and creation of timely and accurate financial reporting, both external and internal. The Senior Accountant addresses budgetary inquiries and reporting needs of departments, is responsible for developing financial reports using InfoMaker, Excel, and Access. The Senior Accountant is responsible for the preparation of supporting audit schedules, and assists the Controller with a wide variety of budget, fiscal and audit tasks.
- Assist in preparation of annual, monthly, and ad-hoc financial statements.
- Review and approve the creation of new general ledger accounts.
- Serve as backup to the Accounts Payable Specialist, and Staff Accountant.
- Prepare adjusting and closing entries.
- Enter and modify budget amounts in Jenzabar.
- Maintain budget user role security within the Jenzabar.
- Review charges and supporting documentation received monthly from employees with University issued credit cards. Ensure compliance with purchasing policies and prepare entries to correctly allocate credit card charges to cost center budget lines.
- Account for fixed assets and depreciation.
- Perform periodic review of processes/functions that generate financial transactions to ensure adherence to policies and procedures.
- Provide financial information requested for approved external surveys and reports.
- Create and analyze monthly budget to actual reports for submission to management.
- Write and run reports that will assist in the preparation of the annual budget, financial statement, and other fiscal reports using tools such as InfoMaker, Access, and Excel.
- Assist in the review and documentation of internal controls, business office policies & procedures, and make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist in the calculation of the University's indirect cost rate.
- Review and make necessary corrections to the general ledger to ensure accuracy.
- Responsible for financial portion of the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of forms: 990, 990T, Mass PC, Mass 990T.
- Complete special projects as directed by the Controller.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Preferred minimum of 3 years in higher education accounting function.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Appropriate computer skills for accounting functions.
- Must have good working knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards, fund accounting principles, and federal and state regulations.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles.
- Must be able to apply technical knowledge in solving problems.
- Must have excellent organizational and analytical skills and be detail oriented.
- Strong accounting and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
Bay Path University is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and learning in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women and all underrepresented backgrounds. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
Bay Path University will become a smoke- and tobacco-free community as of July 1, 2018.