Maintains College grounds and performs maintenance on equipment for plant operations and grounds keeping.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Maintains all turf grass areas: mows, trims, fertilizes, controls weeds (via herbicidal or manual means), diseases, insects, repairs damaged areas, establishes new areas, aerates, dethatches and irrigates some areas as necessary. Edges sidewalks and curbs. Removes grass and debris from sidewalks immediately upon completion of work in area.
Maintains all landscape planting, irrigates, mulches, fertilizes, and controls weeds, insects and disease as necessary; prunes, removes, and replaces as necessary, follows industry standards or best practices.
Designs, purchases, installs and maintains landscape plantings (annual and perennial flower beds, flowering bulbs, trees, shrubs, etc.) Plans ahead by ordering and scheduling planting to meet deadlines or request.
Performs record keeping, documentation and/or reporting tasks (e.g., orders materials, supplies and equipment; keeps records; maintains records regarding care and planting of trees, shrubs and/or flowers; Maintains annual landscape maintenance schedule/timeline. Completes work orders as assigned.
Works with the Coordinator of Facilities to recommend and obtain quotes (with specifications if needed) for all grounds keeping supplies and equipment. Submits quotes to Coordinator of Facilities for final decision.
Maintains all grounds keeping equipment per manufacturers’ recommendation or preventative maintenance work order guidelines Performs minor repairs and parts replacement. Reports and/or schedules extensive repairs.
Assists maintenance technicians when requested or assigned.
Keeps grounds and sidewalks clean daily by removing litter, fallen leaves, branches and other debris, empty trash receptacles, etc. Promptly reports safety or maintenance issues.
Removes snow from walks, roadways, and parking lots and spreads ice and snow melting material as necessary.
Measure, layout, stripe and maintain sport fields as needed per standard athletic field specifications.
Maintains SR 53 and Terra Boulevard Roundabout landscaping, per approved ODOT standards and removes trash from area.
Divides time between mowing and landscape work appropriately in order to maintain all areas.
Removes obstructions from drainage ditches and culverts, notifies supervisor when ditch mowing is needed.
Maintains accurate MSDS sheets for all chemical and fertilizers purchased and used on College grounds.
Repairs pot holes in roadway and parking lot areas.
Handles the set/up and removal of the College’s holiday or other event decorations and also sets up and takes down chairs, tables, risers, etc for various events.
Humanely handles nuisance pest control issues involving mammals, birds, snakes and insects. May provide spot treatment of insects inside buildings when issues arise. Removal and disposal of dead animals, birds, etc.
Marks area and submits request for underground utility locating prior to digging.
Completes other duties as assigned by supervisor.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES (as applicable):
- Occasionally provides direction and training of intermittent employees performing grounds keeping tasks.
EDUCATION AND/OR WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Two year certificate or Associate degree in Landscaping and/or Horticulture preferred.
- Two years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to interpret variety of instructions in written, oral or picture form; maintain accurate records.
- Ability to use computer and computerized work order program.
- Routinely works independently or as part of a team.
- Operates all equipment and machinery in a safe and proficient manner, including the use and operation of grounds keeping equipment (e.g., tractors, stump cutters, sprayers, sod cutters, pruning equipment, motorized &/or hand operated tree spades, power saws, tillers, mowers, seeders, spreaders, snow plows and various other associated tools and equipment).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS (as applicable):
- Valid Ohio driver’s license with no suspensions required.
- Valid fork lift license required.
- Ohio Department of Agriculture Public Operator Pesticide Applicators License, Core and necessary categories to include, but may not be limited to 6a (ornamental pests) and 8 (turf pests) required.
PHYSICAL DEMAND (as applicable):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, climb or balance, talk or hear, and smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical and/or electrical parts and in outside weather conditions:
- The employee is frequently exposed to vibration
- The employee occasionally works with possibly explosive materials and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.