Dean School of Law
Dean School of Law
Requisition Number: STFR004251
Division/College: School of Law
Location: Boston Main Campus
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
Northeastern University, a major research university distinguished by its internationally acclaimed leadership in cooperative and experiential learning, interdisciplinary scholarship, and global service, seeks a visionary and entrepreneurial leader to serve as Dean of its School of Law, commencing in the summer of 2018.
Located in the heart of Boston, Northeastern University School of Law (NUSL) enjoys an unrivalled reputation as the leading legal academy in cooperative and experiential education. All JD students graduate with one year of full-time legal practice in a variety of settings and acquire fundamental knowledge of the law, useful skills in its application and practice, and a clear understanding of ethical responsibilities to be productive and responsible members of the profession. Equally important is NUSL's dedication to the public interest with an emphasis on racial and social justice. The Dean will lead a community that embraces and amplifies these notable distinctions that set NUSL apart from its peers. The Dean will also collaborate with the school's faculty and other stakeholders to support and expand existing non-JD programs, develop new and challenging programs, revenue streams, centers of academic excellence, and interdisciplinary opportunities that leverage the resources of Northeastern University and contribute to its global prominence.
The Dean reports to the Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and participates in University governance with the leaders of Northeastern's other schools and colleges; administers a professional staff of 65 employees; leads a 40-member faculty of outstanding teachers and scholars; and is entrusted with the education and professional development of a highly diverse student body of more than 500 engaged aspiring professionals. In addition to recruiting a consummate legal educator and administrator who can provide leadership in all these areas, Northeastern seeks an exceptional executive who has the vision, strategic acumen, entrepreneurial spirit, character, and presence to enhance the School's existing strengths in public interest law and experiential education while moving NUSL forward to a high level of distinction in a few focused areas already under development, most notably, health law and intellectual property/technology law. The School's health law program is housed within the Center for Health, Policy and Law, which brings together faculty and students from across the University to promote interdisciplinary research and engagement with policymakers to develop innovative solutions to contemporary health challenges. The new Center for Law, Innovation and Creativity (CLIC) is devoted to the study of the regulation of innovation and creativity in the context of the School's social justice mission. CLIC aims to be a unique research and practice environment facilitating exchanges among a diverse group of scholars, lawyers, students, creators, and innovators who are investigating intellectual property and technology law with the aim of promoting progress.
Promising candidates for this leadership position should demonstrate a deep understanding of legal education and the pedagogical and economic challenges presently facing law schools; a record of meaningful achievement in leading an enterprise through a period of change; the capacity and desire to build the human and financial resources to attain measurable objectives; and most significantly, a commitment to the mission of advancing justice and the rule of law to achieve social justice and promote the public interest.
While no one candidate will embody every quality, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal qualities to the position.
- A JD with academic or professional accomplishments meriting tenure at the rank of full professor at Northeastern University School of Law and demonstrating a commitment to excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. Candidates from private practice, government, and other non-academic sectors with distinguished records will be considered;
- A deep understanding of the financial and pedagogical challenges facing legal education today, combined with experience and an aptitude in devising strategies to meet these challenges;
- Commitment to a legal education that combines theory, practice, and experiential learning across the curriculum;
- An understanding of the special responsibilities and contributions of a professional school within a comprehensive, R-1 university is committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service;
- A strong, enduring commitment to social justice and an understanding of the School of Law’s social justice mission;
- An appreciation of and capacity for sustaining and strengthening cooperative education and the distinctive mission and history of Northeastern;
- A deep, demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusion as essential elements of a superior and just academic enterprise;
- Experience as an administrator of an institution of higher education or as a high-level manager of a similarly complex institution with strong management and financial skills, capable of encouraging innovation to enhance the mission of academic excellence at the School of Law, and experience managing organizational change;
- An ability to articulate a clear, creative, and compelling academic vision for the School of Law that can engage faculty, staff, students, alumni, employers, and donors, and that promises to elevate the School of Law to a position of distinction among law schools regionally and nationwide;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with an ability to relate well to a broad range of constituencies;
- Fundraising capacity, aptitude, and versatility to help attract external resources;
- An ability to work effectively with alumni and develop and expand programs for Northeastern alumni engagement with the law school and its students;
- The capacity for and interest in collaborating with the University administration and the deans of the other academic units at Northeastern;
- The capacity to lead effectively within an academic community based upon consensus-building, transparency, and candid communication, as well as a demonstrated appreciation and support for shared governance;
- An ability to recruit, hire, develop, and retain talented faculty and staff;
- A deep commitment to student success and improving the profile and diversity of the entering student body while raising the expectations of performance for current students;
- Exceptional communication skills; a collaborative leadership style conjoined with decisiveness, flexibility, integrity, patience, and good humor.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: [email protected]
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.