Associate Vice President of Finance
Associate Vice President of Finance
The Associate Vice President (AVP) of Finance is a key member of the finance team. They will have oversight of the budget and planning, treasury services, and controller functions, and will lead initiatives in several key areas.
As a seasoned leader, the AVP Finance will provide oversight and influence in the financial and business operations across the Emerson campuses in Boston, Los Angeles and The Netherlands.
They will assume both a leadership role and a hands-on approach to problem solving, guiding the development of the operating and capital multi-year all funds budgets, and campus master plan. Additionally, they will hold primary responsibility for the origination and monitoring of key financial metrics used to communicate financial information to executive leadership.
They will work in close cooperation with the VPAF and other University leaders, particularly in the areas related to strategic operating and capital budgeting and planning as well as improving business processes to take advantage of the ERP systems.
The successful candidate will have an understanding and appreciation of the complexities of an urban arts institution while making certain that financial and budget operations run smoothly and efficiently and ensure that constituents receive the best possible customer service.
They will be innovative and collaborative in their style of leadership, create a productive work environment, and lead and motivate a successful team.
Campus Location: Boston Campus
The AVP will play a critical and highly visible role within the Emerson Community, overseeing the financial and business operations of the institution, across the campus. To be successful, an individual must bring a blend of technical and interpersonal skills to this role. The professional and personal qualities of the ideal candidate are: • 10+ years’ experience in finance and/or budget management, or related fields such as risk management and compliance, debt and capital planning
• Familiarity with working in an academic environment is highly desired
• Strong financial skills, with proven ability to plan and manage both operating and capital budgets, and support a data-driven decision model
• Direct experience with multi-year modeling and analysis, and integrating strategic plans that have competing priorities and multiple inter dependencies
• Strong financial/business analytical ability and project planning strengths
• Current on the latest developments in the industry that can be applied to improve the operational efficiency of the Financial Affairs Office and the related departments within the College community
• A creative problem-solver with the ability to think strategically and develop a vision for long-range planning
• A proven leader and manager, who knows how to effectively motivate a team, including technical experts, support their professional development and create a productive work environment
• Prior success leading through influence and persuasion, building consensus with multiple constituencies and establishing credibility at all levels - with board members, faculty, students, and staff
• Excellent communication skills, clarity in both oral and written presentations ability to present at the executive level as needed. Strong listening and rapport building skills
• Strong commitment to transparency, follow through, customer service and an ability to monitor and evaluate service quality
• Appreciation and enthusiasm for the unique mission, tradition and culture of Emerson
Bachelor’s degree in related field: accounting, finance, business.
Required Prior Work Experience:
10+ years’ experience in finance and/or budget management, or related fields; risk management and compliance; debt and capital planning
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society.
Open Date: 12/18/2017
Classification Title: AVP 2
Salary Grade: 21
Job Family: Executive
To apply, please visit: www.emerson.edu