Associate Director of Annual Giving
The Associate Director of Annual Giving is a member of the University Advancement division and works within the Office of Annual Giving to solicit primarily unrestricted gifts from Butler alumni, parents, friends and prospects. The Assistant Director works directly with the Director of Annual Giving on all initiatives in support of Butler’s comprehensive annual giving program. Collaboration is expected with Development, Alumni and Engagement Programs, Advancement Services, Marketing Communications, University Advancement Vice President, and the President’s Office. The Associate Director of Annual Giving will be responsible for communicating the goals of Butler University to alumni and friends through face-to-face personal solicitation. A comfort level in soliciting donors and friends of the institution for gifts of $1,000+ is required.
Personal Solicitation/Frontline Fund Raising (50% of full time)
- Manage a portfolio of donor prospects with a focus on prospect discovery and qualification
- Conduct, at minimum, 72 donor visits annually
- Meet established fundraising goals each year
- Utilize Advance (fundraising database) to document communication and visits with prospects within 48 hours
- Effectively communicate results of visits with appropriate staff members; provide necessary follow-up in a timely manner
- Establish oneself as a knowledgeable staff member by learning University priorities, messages related to colleges/units on campus and best practices related to higher education fundraising and personal solicitation
- Attend related donor events as appropriate (e.g., Homecoming, Family Weekend, hospitality events, etc.)
- Partner with Director of Annual Giving and Advancement Services on identification and research of prospects
- Partner with Donor Relations to provide direction and planning for Leadership Annual Giving donor cultivation and recognition events including, but not limited to, giving society engagement (e.g., State of the University, leadership conference calls, networking events, special programming, Presidential roundtables, award presentations, etc.), Butler road shows, Homecoming and Family Weekend
- Develop content, design, and distribute quarterly giving society e-newsletters
- Coordinate Advancement representation at Efroymson Family Gym donor hospitality events at all home Men’s Basketball contests
- Assist with management of University’s matching gift program including: review of outstanding claims and completion of necessary steps to lead to fulfillment of matching gift
Faculty and Staff Campaign
- Develop, coordinate, and conduct solicitations
- Partner with faculty and staff representatives to educate and inform the University community about annual giving
- Partner with Advancement Services to track project results and return on investment (ROI)
- Partner with Human Resources, IT, University Advancement, and other areas to develop and review faculty/staff rosters for solicitation
- Act as a representative for the Office of Annual Giving at appropriate events
- Partner with the Assistant Director of Annual Giving to coordinate and direct special University fundraising programs including, but not limited to Giving Tuesday and Day of Giving
- Maintain accuracy and completeness of University Advancement online giving forms as needed
- Generate content updates, donor profiles, impact stories, etc.
- Serve as liaison to Advancement Services for online/recurring gift, payment failure, allocation questions, etc.
- Partner with Advancement Services on best practices for online giving
Perform non-routine projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Candidates with at least 3 years of successful fundraising or equivalent experience in college/university advancement will receive highest consideration.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with demonstrated proofreading ability and close attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated pattern of flexibility, ability to manage multiple projects, and willingness to take on new challenges.
- Ability to use computer technology (e.g., Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, relational databases, etc.). Experience with Advance database a plus.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Must exercise discretion in working with confidential/sensitive donor information.
- Foster a spirit of cooperation within the Advancement division.
Applicants must submit:
- Completed Butler University Employment Application form available at https://www.butler.edu/sites/default/files/employee_application_form.docx
- Cover Letter
- Names and telephone numbers of at least three (3) professional references
Application and completed support materials should be submitted via email to Mark Brouwer, Executive Director f Annual Giving via Amorelle Gunst, Annual Giving Administrative Specialist, at email@example.com .
Only completed applications will be considered.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.