Department Head (Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies)
General Description of Position:
The Department of Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies (GWSS) invites applications for the position of Head and Associate or Full Professor in the department. The Head is expected to play a strong and collegial role in the continued development of this interdisciplinary department, which was founded in 1978, and includes 4 core and 50 affiliated faculty members. The department offers a major, minor, and graduate certificate in GWSS, and a minor in queer studies.Information About the Department:
The Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies Department at Kansas State University is broadly-based and interdisciplinary with courses offered in many different fields across the university. Disciplines currently represented are Anthropology, Art, Education, English, Communication Studies, Family Studies and Human Services, History, Journalism and Mass Communication, Leadership Studies, Modern Languages, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology. Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. The Successful Candidate Will:
· Have a Ph.D. or equivalent in the field of GWSS or a related discipline.
· Have made a significant research contribution to GWSS and have an ongoing research program that extends critical feminist inquiry at the intersections of gender, women, and sexuality studies with categories of analysis such as race, ethnicity, class, nation, colonialism, imperialism, and disability.
· Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, intersectionality, and social justice through curriculum development, program building, and working with a wide range of constituent populations.
· Have demonstrable leadership and administrative experience.
· Have the ability to communicate effectively, manage interpersonal relations, and contribute to a collegial work and learning environment..
· Have the ability to foster an open and inclusive environment, and enhance interdisciplinary research and teaching
· Have a commitment to shared governance in GWSS.
· Have the ability to communicate the mission and identity of GWSS on campus and within the community.
Have the ability to mentor and assist the career progress of the GWSS faculty.
· Have an interest in, and ability to teach, interdisciplinary GWSS studies courses.
· Be tenurable in the Department of Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies at the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
The field of specialization is open; research areas of interest include but are not limited to: Transnational Feminisms, Queer of Color Critique, Woman of Color Feminisms, Transgender Studies, Critical Ethnic Studies, or Native and Indigenous Feminisms.
The Head is expected to teach two GWSS courses per year. The teaching requirement may vary depending on the Head’s other responsibilities.Required Minimum Qualifications:
Have a Ph.D. or equivalent in the field of GWSS or a related discpline. Have made a significant research contribution to GWSS and have an ongoing research program that extends critical feminist inquiry at the intersections of gender, women, and sexuality studies with categories of analysis such as race, ethnicity, class, nation, colonialism, imperialism, and disability. Have demonstrable leadership and administrative experience.Preferred Qualifications:
· Working with community-based gender and sexuality organizations
· Managing departmental or organizational budgets.
· Leading an interdisciplinary group.
· Managing enrollment.
The ability to obtain external funding for program development is also preferred.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit letter of interest, curriculum vitae, KSU Application and evidence of scholarly activities.Applicants will need to upload a cover letter addressing qualifications and skills related to the position, a resume or curriculum vita listing education and employment history and five professional references including name, address, phone number (cell number if appropriate) and email address. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.Screening of Applications Begins: February 1, 2018 Salary Range/ Pay Rate: $115,000 - $140,000 Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.