Technical Assistant – Seelig Theater (Part-Time)
SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Technical Assistant – Seelig Theater. Incumbent provides technical assistance to the presentation and delivery of campus theater productions, campus events such as meetings, conferences, student engagement activities, lectures, classes, as well as facility-rental events by external groups, including performances, governmental meetings, movie screenings and more, and assists in coordinating the upkeep and maintenance of the Seelig Theater. This position reports to the Dean of Community Outreach. Evening and weekend hours are required. This is a temporary, part-time position.
- Associate’s degree in related field, OR at least three (3) years of related experience in the operation of theater equipment and the upkeep and maintenance of a theater facility.
- Demonstrated experience in operating theater lighting and sound systems (i.e. ETC Ion or equivalent, Mackie soundboard or equivalent, ETC dimmers or equivalent, QVC amplifiers or equivalent), live-stream satellite equipment, and multimedia cross-platform computer hardware and software, with the ability to troubleshoot both hardware and software problems. Soldering and drafting experience, and ETCP Electrician and/or Proscenium Rigging certification highly desirable.
- The ability to evaluate and recommend equipment and software for purchase and work with vendors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and parents, and to interact with the community and guests in the theater.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Environment: Office, theater, and stage environment; exposure to noise, dust and electrical energy; work with machinery; work at heights on scaffolding and ladders.
- Physical: Sufficient physical ability to work in an office setting and operate office equipment; work with and around equipment and machinery; perform physically demanding technical duties; walk, stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; ability and willingness to lift/carry up to 50 lbs; bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In conjunction with the Director of Special Events & Campus Activities and recognizing that the theater supports the SUNY Sullivan campus, coordinates with internal and external guests to provide technical assistance to events in the venue, such as theater productions, programs, classes, meetings, student activities, and special events. Includes:
- Maintaining the schedule and bookings for the Seelig Theater.
- Providing assistance as needed during rehearsals for theater productions, student activities, meetings, special events, etc., and the necessary set-up leading up to events.
- Operating appropriate theatrical equipment.
- Providing technical assistance as needed for actual events in the Seelig Theater, and troubleshooting technical issues during rehearsals and events.
- Assisting in the creation and maintenance of proper documentation for technical aspects of events in the Seelig Theater, including lighting ground plans, circuit sheets, channel sheets; sound patch sheets; fly rail plots; necessary drawings; inventory sheets; inspections; etc.
- Monitoring and providing oversight to ensure the proper use of theater equipment by internal and external guests.
- Coordinating with appropriate personnel, internally and externally, to meet satellite requirements for Metropolitan Opera: Live in HD and Encore series.
- Assists in coordinating activities for the upkeep and maintenance of the Seelig Theater:
- Maintenance of theater equipment, including sound, lighting, soft goods, safety apparatus, fly rail, and rehearsal pianos/grand piano.
- Performance of safety checks and inspections, and recommendations for repair and replacement of failed equipment, utilizing internal and external personnel, if necessary.
- Coordinate repair and preventative maintenance activities with Buildings and Grounds that cannot be accomplished by the Theater Tech.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials for a January 8, 2018 review date. The hiring range for this position is $20 to $23 per hour. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity.
E-mail your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to: