Director, Stewardship and Donor Relations
Bucknell University seeks applications for an experienced professional to serve as Director of Stewardship and Donor Relations. In June 2017 the University celebrated the successful conclusion of its largest comprehensive campaign, raising $513 million from nearly 45,000 donors. The Director will play an integral role in building on this success by executing a comprehensive stewardship and recognition strategy that advances the goals of the university and strategically stewards donors at all stages of the giving lifecycle and across Bucknell's primary gift designations (annual fund, endowment and facilities).
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Development & Alumni Relations, the person filling this position will be a senior member of the development team and will have the opportunity to partner across the division and the university as Bucknell embarks on a strategic planning process that will inform our fundraising goals moving forward.
The division of Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) includes four major areas: Development, Advancement Services, Alumni Relations, and the Career Development Center.
All DAR staff members are expected to contribute to Bucknell's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
* Serves as a contributing member of the Development Management Team
- Understands the overall goals of the University and the Division and the role that DAR and each of the development programs play in reaching those goals.
- As a member of the Development Management Team helps devise solutions for issues that might arise across the development programs
* Develops and executes a comprehensive stewardship and recognition strategy that advances the goals of the University and the Division for both the long and the short term, strategically stewarding donors at all stages of the donor life cycle and across Bucknell's primary gift designations (annual fund, endowment and facilities).
- Performs comprehensive data analysis related to all aspects of the program. Leverages analytics to evaluate and refine current programs and to make recommendations for program changes.
- Works with the Director, Advancement Marketing Research & Strategy to determine the best channels institutionally to honor and recognize donor giving and to ensure that the messaging is consistent with the university's branding and goals.
- Implements strategic stewardship and recognition events on and off campus.
- Participates in the execution of both periodic and customized events and programs for the development office, the alumni office,parents programs and, as requested by the President, for the University as a whole.
* Coordinates the involvement of additional constituencies in the stewardship process, such as the President, Provost, Deans, Athletic Director, Board of Trustees and other high level volunteers.
* Team Management
- Manages staff who oversee the day-today operations of Donor and Volunteer Relations.
- Provides annual performance reviews and regular meetings.
- Provides direction, mentorship, and goals for direct reports.
- Empowers individuals to be prudently bold, data driven, highly intentional, constituent centered, and forward thinking.
* Budget Management
- Responsible for the DVR budget.
- Reconciles the budget monthly.
- Plans for the yearly budget.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage existing events, programs, and mailings of other departments to advance the goals of stewardship and recognition
* Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires occasional evening and weekend work to support DAR's signature events including significant blocks of time during the weekend events. This also requires a commitment to attend/participate in on-campus and off-campus events/activities outside of normal business hours as appropriate.
* Bachelor's degree
* Five years of experience in a donor relations or advancement services environment
* Project management and team leadership experience
* Excellent written and oral communications skills
* Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, tact, discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality inside and outside of DAR
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a professional manner with alumni and donors, university staff, administrators and faculty, and with outside vendors and service providers
* Ability to function independently yet relate comfortably to a multifaceted fundraising environment, participating in and contributing to a total team effort.
* Ability and willingness to travel (including air travel and auto travel to major metropolitan areas)
* Demonstrated understanding of the policies, tax laws and regulations that impact recognition programs
* Expert knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
* Valid Driver's License
* Experience working with Blackbaud CRM
* Higher education experience
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University is a private, highly selective, unique national University where liberal arts and strong professional programs in engineering, business, education and music complement each other. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, and appealing amenities such as art galleries, an art deco theater, historic museums, and charming independent boutiques and restaurants. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.