Mathematics Instructor (2 positions) - Tenure Track
Mathematics Instructor (2 positions) - Tenure Track
Closing Date/Time: 3/6/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Aptos, CA
There are two (2) Full-time, tenure track faculty positions.
Starting Salary Range: $54,397 to $83,440 per year, salary placement determined by documented education and experience; maximum initial salary step placement on the faculty salary schedule is step 9.
Cabrillo College provides a doctoral stipend of $3,632 per year for eligible faculty.
Benefits: Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend that employees apply towards benefit selections for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance.
Days Per Year: Faculty enjoy a 175-day work schedule.
Beginning Date: Position scheduled to begin on Monday, August 20, 2018, pending funding and Governing Board ratification. Assignments may include distance education courses, may be scheduled over summer and/or winter months, and may be scheduled at various campus locations days, evenings, and/or weekends.
About the College: Situated on Monterey Bay in the county of Santa Cruz, California, Cabrillo College is one of the most highly regarded community colleges in the state for its success in the area of transfer and career education, and currently serves approximately 12,000 students each semester. Cabrillo College transfers many of its students to three nearby universities - the University of California at Santa Cruz, San Jose State University in the heart of Silicon Valley, and California State University at Monterey Bay. Cabrillo's career education is closely connected to the nearby Silicon Valley business environment as well as that of the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Cabrillo focuses on student-centered learning and has a tradition of collegial governance.
Faculty at Cabrillo College have a long history of shared governance and participation in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
About the Department: The Mathematics Department is looking for faculty members to join in pursuit of student success and professional excellence. We are searching for dynamic, talented instructors to join our team of 20 full-time and approximately 25 adjunct math faculty. Every semester 3,500 students are enrolled in mathematics, most of which are basic skills and pre-transfer courses. The successful candidate must be an effective teacher whose focus is on student learning, and a colleague who will be expected to be professionally active within the mathematics department and campus wide.
We are currently in transition as Cabrillo College becomes a Guided Pathways institution, as we implement Multiple Measures, and as we respond to Assembly Bill 705. We are coming together as a department to best serve our students in this time of great change.
About the Position: The department strives for a balance between individual approaches to innovative pedagogy and shared curriculum across our courses. Members are expected to actively pursue professional development opportunities within the department, the college, and beyond.
Examples of Duties
Teaching assignments range from basic skills classes through high school equivalent and transfer courses, and can include classes in Aptos, Watsonville, or online.
Required Education from a U.S. Department of Education recognized accredited organization and licensure qualifications:
- Master's in mathematics or applied mathematics OR
- Bachelor's in mathematics or applied mathematics AND a Master's in statistics, physics, or mathematics education OR
- The equivalent OR
- A lifetime California Community College Instructor credential in Mathematics.
Candidates without the specified degrees listed above must complete and submit a Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination (Download PDF reader). Additionally, candidates must provide documentation, as part of this application process, sufficient to convince the committee that the candidate possesses the equivalent of these minimum qualifications, including the depth and breadth of discipline knowledge plus general education.
*NOTE: Graduate students currently working on a Master's degree are encouraged to apply, with the understanding that:
- The graduate student MUST complete the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form AND
- The degree must be completed and confirmed by July 1, 2018
Required Professional Expertise:
- Currency and depth of knowledge in the applicable professional field
- Knowledge of and commitment to teaching strategies and practices that enhance student success at community colleges, including effective use of technology
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to teach the courses or perform the duties effectively as described above
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with students of diverse academic, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds; gender identities, sexual orientations; and students with disabilities
- Evidence of professional activities and service beyond the primary teaching assignment
- Development and review of curriculum as well as including assessments of learning
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
Desired Qualifications/Performance Expectations:
- Master's degree in mathematics or statistics
- Recent successful teaching experience in Mathematics at the community college level
- Expertise and interest in teaching the full spectrum of community college mathematics courses, from arithmetic and algebra through differential equations and linear algebra, including statistics
- Demonstrated ability to employ student-centered innovative teaching techniques and methodologies
- Experience with and passion for teaching diverse student populations
- Successful online teaching experience
Selection Process: A search committee will review complete applications. Meeting minimum qualifications does not ensure an interview. Therefore, it is critical that candidates submit a detailed and complete application. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces, or notes saying "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: social security number, birth date, age, gender, birth place and personal photos. The application and supporting materials will be used to assess each candidate's qualifications as they relate to the assignment. A limited number of candidates will be invited for an interview slated for mid-April, 2018. A teaching demonstration will be part of the interview.
To be considered, each candidate MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application.
- Cover Letter, which states how the candidate specifically meets the required qualifications and gives an introduction to the candidate's teaching philosophy.
- Current job-related resume, including teaching experience, and/or related work experience.
- Verification of education qualifications (Foreign transcripts must be translated to determine equivalency to U.S. standards (Download PDF reader). Any fee for such translation is paid by the applicant.):
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (unofficial transcripts, copies and downloads are acceptable). If selected, it is the responsibility of the candidate to provide official transcripts, diplomas, degrees or other documents as may be required OR
- Copy of a lifetime California Community College Instructor credential in Mathematics, front and back (if applicable) OR
- An attached Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination (Download PDF reader) form and supporting documentation. (This is only necessary if candidate does not possess and submit proof of specified degrees listed in minimum qualifications OR possess and submit copy of a valid lifetime credential.)
- Three (3) recent job related letters of recommendation which address the candidate's ability to perform the duties of this position. At least two of the three letters must be dated within the last 12 months.
- One copy each of an intermediate algebra exam AND an exam on differential calculus from the first semester of a three (3) semester calculus series. Each exam should be written by the candidate and be appropriate to use in class as a one-hour exam
If any of the required materials are not submitted with your application packet, your application will be deemed incomplete and will not be forwarded to the committee for screening.
Please notify Human Resources if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Selection Procedure: Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted and cleared, provide current Tuberculosis test results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application materials MUST be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
Please note: Cabrillo College will be closed beginning Friday, December 22, 2017 and will re-open on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
01 Please indicate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for this position:
- Master's in mathematics or applied mathematics
- Bachelor's in mathematics or applied mathematics AND a Master's in statistics, physics, or mathematics education
- A lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential in Mathematics
- I do not meet any of the minimum qualifications as listed in the job bulletin, but I believe I possess qualifications that are the equivalent. I have completed and attached the Supplemental Application for Equivalency form
02 I have attached one (1) copy of an intermediate algebra exam AND one (1) copy of an exam on differential calculus from the first semester of a three (3) semester calculus series. I have written each exam and it is appropriate to use in class as a one-hour exam
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu