Assistant Professor, Higher Education Student Affairs Program, Advanced Education Programs Departmen
- Successful candidates should be well-rounded, with diverse institutional, educational, research, and experiential backgrounds; leadership, and/or teaching in a higher education setting; and a record of scholarly activity and service to the larger community. Successful candidates should also should hold a doctorate degree, or be ABD on target to complete the degree by the appointment date. Preferred candidates will hold the doctorate degree and have teaching and leadership experience at the collegiate level.
- The primary responsibility of the position is instruction in courses within the Higher Education Student Affairs Program, with the expectation that the faculty member will also engage in scholarly activity and university/professional service. The areas of responsibility are typically in a proportion of 60% instruction, 20% scholarship, and 20% service. For Instruction courses may include: Assessment and Evaluation of Higher Education Programs, Higher Education Law, Student Personnel in Higher Education, Student Development Theories, Governance and Finance in Higher Education and other Higher Education Student Affairs related classes.
- The Higher Education Student Affairs (HESA) Program at Fort Hays State University is well established and is expanding. This is a full-time, nine-month tenure track position (with summer teaching available) in the Department of Advanced Education Programs in the College of Education at Fort Hays State University. Responsibilities will also include advising of candidates and organization and management of culminating experiences.
A minimum of an ABD degree to be completed by the appointment date. Doctorates in related areas may be accepted if in conjunction with multiple years of teaching higher education courses and higher education leadership experience.
- Practical/relevant experience and teaching in Student Affairs
- Successful candidates should be well-rounded, with diverse institutional, educational, research, and experiential backgrounds;
- Instructional experience in a college or university;
- Experience in the application of educational technology in distance education and traditional learning environments;
- Demonstrated experience of mentoring and supervising graduate students;
- Demonstrated record of scholarly activity and service to the larger community;
- Demonstrated commitment to professional service activities.
RANK: Assistant Professor
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 6, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 1, 2018. Screening of complete applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and background
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Instruction - The candidate filling this position will be expected to teach the equivalent of 12 credit hours per semester at the graduate level within the HESA. Instructional responsibility will include teaching mediated and distance learning and on-campus courses in the Advanced Education Program. The candidate will also supervise student practicum and internship experiences and coordinate the culminating activity for program candidates.
- Student Advisement - Student advisement at the graduate level is a part of the instructional responsibility of this position. Student advisement includes career counseling plus class schedules and degree summaries.
- Scholarship - A commitment to scholarship is required and may include book/journal publications, writing grant proposals, the development of innovative educational programs, and conference presentation.
- Service - A commitment to service activities is required and may include national, regional, state, or local professional involvement and other services activities at the department, college, university, and community levels.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit the following items in one PDF document.
Letter of interest addressing the required and preferred qualifications/experiences described above; Current vitae; Complete transcripts (official transcripts are required at time of employment); Statement of Educational Philosophy; Names, addresses, telephone numbers (day, evening, cell), and email addresses of five current professional references.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Ed Hammond, Chair, HESA Search Committee
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.