Tenure Track Faculty, Hospitality Management (Culinary Arts)
Campus or Location College-wide
Vacancy Number 008-19
Reports To Associate Dean
Recruitment Type External/Internal
Job Category FT Faculty
Position Type Full-Time
Union Position Union
Number of Openings 1
Job Description Summary
Hospitality Management (Culinary Arts)
Teaches culinary arts classes to include but not limited to: Fundamentals of Culinary Arts, Contemporary Cuisine, International Cuisine, Introduction to Baking & Pastries, Advanced Baking & Pastries, Culinary Evaluation and American Regional Cuisine, Banquet & Catering Management, Restaurant Operations, Garde Manger.
May teach a variety of hospitality management courses to include but not be limited to Introduction to Hospitality, Sanitation and Safety, Purchasing, Menu Planning and Facilities, and Cost Control.
• Prepares and delivers lectures to students on various topics in relation to a specific discipline
• Evaluates and grades students' class work, laboratory work, assignments and papers
• Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments and handouts
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, speaking with colleagues and participating in professional conferences
• Maintains student attendance records, grades and other required records
• Initiates, facilitates and moderates classroom discussions
• As needed, advises students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues
• Plans, evaluates and revises curricula, course content and course materials and methods of instruction
• Compiles, administers and grades examinations
• Collaborates with colleagues to address teaching and research issues
• Maintains regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students
• Selects and obtains materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment
• Serves on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, department matters and academic issues
• Participates in campus and community events
• Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality Management, Business, or related field with 5 years of recent industry Kitchen/Cooking experience in a full service restaurant or foodservice establishment at a supervisory level; Substantial and related work experience may be equivalent to a degree.
• ServSafe certified
• Proficiency in related industry software - POS systems
• Teaching experience
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Suite (or equivalent)
• Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for students
• Advanced communication (verbal, written and interpersonal) and organizational skills
• Logic and reasoning skills to identify solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
• Sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population
• Master's Degree in Hospitality Management, Business, or related field
• Member of the American Culinary Federation (ACF); ACF Certification
• Teaching or training experience in culinary or related fields at the college or vocational/technical level with skills in curriculum design, instructional methods, evaluation and assessment; proficient in presentation software and spreadsheet programs
• Active in hospitality industry professional organizations and/or a variety of contacts within the industry
• Community college teaching experience
Classes are assigned, beginning August (Fall semester) 2018. Ability to work a combination of days/evenings/weekends is required. Assignments may include working at multiple sites/campuses.
Target Hiring Rate/Salary $51,635 minimum; offer based on education/or and experience.
This is a full-time tenure track faculty opportunity for the academic year beginning August (Fall) 2018. The academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) is 36 weeks in duration; summer contracts are issued separately.
The following documents must be attached to your on-line employment application:
2) A cover letter
3) A one-page statement explaining how you promote student learning and achievement
4) Scanned copies of your transcript (original, unofficial, or photocopy) for the required degree and copies of current required licenses/certifications. Please indicate your current name of the transcript if it differs from the name on the transcript.
Applicants selected for interview must provide official transcripts for the required degree at the time of interview.
Please note that the required degree must be conferred/completed prior to submission of your application.
Please DO NOT include other transcripts or documents not requested such as letters of reference or past evaluations; only the transcript and required licenses/certifications will be forwarded to the search committee. No faxed transcripts, licenses, or certifications will be accepted.
Posting Open Date 12/13/2017
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement
Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this position?
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Tri-C web site
- Tri-C employee referral
- City News
- Search Firm/Agency
- Other publication
- Other web site
- Career Fair
- * Bachelor's Degree or higher in Hospitality Management, Business, or related field?
- * Do you have 5 years of recent industry Kitchen/Cooking experience in a full service restaurant or foodservice establishment at a supervisory level; Substantial and related work experience may be equivalent to a degree?
- * Are you ServSafe certified?
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Transcript 1
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 3