Instructor, Building Construction Technology
Instructor, Building Construction Technology
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09217
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Starting Salary: $52,020 to $55,728 (Step 3); based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. Full 2017/18 Faculty Salary Range is $52,020 to $90,205.
Job Close Date: Apply by February 2, 2018 for best consideration
Are you ready to impact the lives of students? Portland Community College is looking for a Building Construction Technology Instructor at the Rock Creek Campus.
This position will start Fall term 2018 and is eligible for Continuous Appointment upon third year review.
The core of all we do at PCC is equitable student success!
This is a full-time instructional position in the Building Construction Technology Department. It is specific to Rock Creek Campus. Courses to be instructed include hands on classes and labs such as Residential Concrete, Remodeling, and Hand and Power Tool Safety. The instruction schedule will include both early morning, daytime and evening courses. The instructor will also be responsible for lecture classes such as Residential Materials and Methods, Residential Estimating, and Residential Building Codes. The instructor will be teaching in an active construction jobsite situation, therefore significant hands on experience is required, and the ability to successfully perform in a construction work-site type environment is necessary, including the physical ability to lift 50lbs, to carry and manipulate building materials, and to actively assist others in the proper methods to be used in preparing and installing residential construction materials and systems. Prior teaching experience is preferred, and a hands on teaching demonstration will be a mandatory part of the interview process. This instructional position is one of four full time faculty positions within our small department, and we will be looking for an instructor who is excited to collaborate with us as we continue to improve our instructional delivery, every year, so that we can continue to offer a unique, high quality experience to the students we serve.
Our faculty enjoy an atmosphere of collegiality and sense of belonging that rewards outstanding teaching and fosters active intellectual and creative engagement. PCC is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a diverse cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and scholarly activities, committed to student success and high-quality academic programs.
Our core themes at PCC are:
* Equitable Access and Student Success
* Economic Development and Sustainability
* Quality Education
* Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
If this sounds like a community you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play for PCC, please review the minimum and preferred qualifications listed below, and apply today!
Here is our intended Recruitment Timeline:
- Best Application Consideration Date: Friday, Feb. 2, 2018
- Initial Interviews: Week of February 19, 2018
- Finalist (On-Campus) Interviews: Week of March 12, 2018
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
PCC Faculty Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct students using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities.
- Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students.
- Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
- Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested.
- Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
- Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital status.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
- Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
1. Hold a Master's degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Civil or Structural Engineering or other construction related fields and have a minimum of 3 years of recent full-time experience in residential/light commercial construction industry. Recent teaching experience at the college level or industry training experience, or a combination of teaching at the college level and industry trainer experience, may be substituted, year for year, for recent experience in the residential/light commercial construction industry.
2. Hold a bachelor's degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Civil or Structural Engineering or other construction related fields and have a minimum of 4 years of full-time experience in residential/light commercial construction industry. Recent teaching experience at the college level or industry training experience, or a combination of teaching at the college level and industry trainer experience, may be substituted, year for year, for recent experience in the residential/light commercial construction industry.
3. Hold an associates' degree in a construction-related field or a Journey Person card, and have a minimum of 5 years of full-time experience in residential/light commercial construction industry. Recent teaching experience at the college level or industry training experience, or a combination of teaching at the college level and industry trainer experience, may be substituted, year for year, for recent experience in the residential/light commercial construction industry.
- At least 8 years of hands on experience installing residential or commercial concrete foundations and flatwork, light wood framing floor, wall and roof systems, interior and exterior finishing on residential construction projects.
- Demonstrated hands on experience in site setup, foundation and flatwork layout, and utilities coordination and building trades management in residential construction
- Demonstrated hands on experience with interior and exterior residential remodeling projects
- Demonstrated experience with Alternate Dwelling Unit and/or Tiny House construction
- Familiarity with building science principles
- Demonstrated experience working with international residential code
- Demonstrated experience in coaching, training, teaching or mentoring in an industry or educational environment
When you apply, Please be prepared to attach a document with your responses to the following Required Questions:
1. The person in this position will be teaching a variety of courses in both the Hands-on Construction and the Design Build / Remodeling degree programs. Please describe how your expertise and experience will make you a valuable addition to the department.
2. PCC values inclusiveness and is committed to working with a diverse student population. Please describe your experiences working with people of diverse backgrounds and explain how that experience relates to effective teaching of building construction technology courses.
3. The world (and also the college) are changing rapidly, and the way instructors address innovation is important for student success. How would you incorporate innovative ideas and methods into your classes? Please give at least one specific example.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position please provide the following:
1) Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll to see questions below - (attach document)*
2) Completed online application
Be sure to indicate clearly how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications in the employment history to ensure this experience is taken into consideration.
3) Cover Letter (*Attach)
In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the qualifications for the position (minimum and preferred qualifications).
4) Current Resume/Vita (*Attach)
5) Unofficial Transcripts for each of your degrees (Includes current PCC employees) (*Attach)
Transcripts need to include the Title of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by September 1, 2018 must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
Application Review Process:
1) Once the "deadline or best consideration date" has passed, an initial screening will be conducted.
2) Upon hire the selected candidate will be required to supply OFFICIAL copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
3) Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
- As an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.