Assistant Professor of Health and Physical Education
Assistant Professor of Health and Physical Education – Search # 67519
Waters College of Health Professions / Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology
The Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology in the Waters College of Health Professions invites applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Professor of Health and Physical Education. This position will be located on the Armstrong campus in Savannah.
In January 2017, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents voted to consolidate Armstrong State University and Georgia Southern University. The new, 27,000-student university will be named Georgia Southern University with campuses in Savannah, Statesboro, and Hinesville. The expected timeline for the first entering class will be fall 2018. Complete details are available at http://consolidation.georgiasouthern.edu/.
Within this setting, the Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology is a dynamic and growing unit of over 60 faculty and staff serving over 1,500 majors enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs in areas that include health education and promotion, exercise science, athletic training/sports medicine, sport psychology, nutrition and food science, health administration, health and physical education, sport management, and coaching education. The department strives to become an elite academic unit and this position would contribute to that goal through the development of its health and physical education program.
Position Description: Reporting to the Chair of the Department, the Assistant Professor requires teaching, service, and research responsibilities as well as a doctorate degree. This Assistant Professor will teach courses in, but not limited to, the following areas: physical education topics, health education, teacher supervision, curriculum and instruction, coaching, and internship management; conduct research in the area of health and physical education; promote and sustain interdisciplinary dialogue and service; hold membership in professional associations; and serve on committees and participate in official activities at the departmental, college, and university levels. The position is a 10-month, tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
•	Applicants must have a doctoral degree in Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science or a closely related field by August 1, 2018
•	Commitment to excellence in teaching and learning as evidenced by a presentation with students present during the campus visit
•	Promise of productive scholarship/creative activities consistent with the teacher-scholar model
•	Commitment to teaching, scholarship, and service that is consistent with the College's priorities for the Department and the mission of the University
•	Ability to contribute to a positive work environment in the Department, College, and University
•	Technological literacy and a commitment to integrate technology in teaching and scholarship
•	Commitment to professional service within the University and beyond
•	Ability to work in a diverse academic and professional community
•	Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution
•	Experience in university teaching
•	Potential for online teaching
Screening of applications begins January 31, 2018, and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2018. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Stephen Rossi, Search Chair, Search 67512
Department of Health Sciences and Kinesiology
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8076
Statesboro GA 30460-8076
Electronic mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (912) 478-0200
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or http://chhs.georgiasouthern.edu/hk/. Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Vice Provost.