Research Opportunity Development Lead
Research Opportunity Development Lead
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: Research Solutions Institute
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Worcester Polytechnic Institute invites applications for a Research Opportunity Development Lead position to support the growth in research. Reporting to the Vice Provost for Research (VPR), the Research Opportunity Development Lead (RODL) helps identify, develop, implement and manage programs and services designed to support the research initiatives outlined in the Strategic Plan and increase the competitiveness of proposals for extramural funding, with an emphasis on development of large-scale interdisciplinary activities.
The RODL position is part of a strategic initiative to strengthen the research infrastructure at WPI and will be part of the newly established Research Solutions Institute (RSI). The RODL will participate in the expansion of existing disciplinary and multi-disciplinary programs and the development of new initiatives, working with teams of faculty to develop strategies for multi-million dollar programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Strengthens the institutional infrastructure for promoting interdisciplinary research and proposal development across the Institute.
• Advises faculty on federal and other funding opportunities and coordinates the establishment of faculty teams to develop and submit competitive proposals.
• Focuses on building a portfolio of sponsorship from diverse sources, including industry and maps faculty strengths to key sponsor initiatives.
• Develops and maintains relationships with federal and non-federal extramural sponsors in support of research development efforts.
• Works closely with Sponsored Programs Accounting and Intellectual Property and Innovation to develop and deliver training workshops.
• Participates in VPR and WPI-wide working groups and committees to identify and develop resources that support research
• At least five years of related industry experience in scientific or engineering areas or experience in research development with an emphasis on multi-investigator proposal development.
• Extensive knowledge of federal and non-federal sponsors supporting research and education activities, preferably in a university environment.
• Excellent communications skills, strong problem solving skills, ability to drive decisions, ability to see the big picture and grasp complex interconnections.
• Demonstrated experience analyzing complex solicitations and translating technical concepts into a well-written fundable proposal.
• Training in research and writing; excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills.
• Experience with project/program management and scheduling tools with a proven track-record in managing complex R&D initiatives.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team to manage an unpredictable and time-sensitive caseload of complex assignments while providing quality service and meeting deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal and organizations skills with a demonstrated ability to build consensus and lead teams in order to achieve desired outcomes.
Posting Date: 12/11/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5208