Director of Alumni Relations & Lifelong Engagement
Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 2,000 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
The Director of Alumni Relations and Lifelong Engagement is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive Alumni Relations program designed to increase alumni engagement and support of the university's strategic plan. The Director will build stronger ties among alumni and the university, accomplished by a wide variety of programming, volunteer opportunities and communications. This position will provide strategic leadership and direction to the Alumni Association Board of Directors, regional alumni chapters, and other volunteer leaders.
The goals of the alumni relations department are directly tied to Advancement and institutional goals. Successful alumni relations and lifelong engagement will be partially measured through increased support of The Wittenberg Fund, goals around donor participation and retention, participation of leadership volunteers, and increased on-campus presence attributed to alumni programs and outreach. This position reports to the Vice President for Advancement.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Partner with the annual giving operation to jointly promote alumni engagement and philanthropy.
- Create a vibrant five-year reunion program for classes celebrating their 5th through 50th Reunions.
- Build and promote Homecoming and reunion weekends while building an active class-based volunteer structure that involves and engages members of the alumni community.
- Organize a cycle of affinity-based programs and reunions (i.e. Student Leaders, Black, Greek, Athletics, Choir, Business, etc).
- Recruit and train alumni volunteer leaders, including Alumni Association Board of Director members and regional alumni chapter leaders.
- Expand the regional-based alumni program, both in number of chapters and their programmatic offerings.
- Sustain and grow attendance and engagement through regional and national alumni events.
- Oversee activities and direction of the Alumni Association Board of Directors and other volunteers and volunteer leadership committees.
- Work with The Wittenberg Fund to build undergraduate student class unity and giving, including awareness of Wittenberg's mission and future roles as alumni.
- Collaborate internally with the leadership giving team, Wittenberg Fund staff, advancement services Wittenberg faculty, and the university communications office.
- Manage the Assistant Director of Alumni Relations and Lifelong Engagement, student employees, and intern(s).
- Other related duties as assigned.
A bachelor's degree and four to six years of related experience are required; master's degree preferred. Additionally, we are seeking applicants with proven experience in alumni relations management including affinity and reunion planning, regional alumni chapters, events, and other programming.
Candidates should have knowledge of Microsoft product suite and use of database. Must have the ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as well as some travel. Candidates must be able to lift and carry event equipment for set-up of alumni and campus events.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. Please see our notice of nondiscrimination housed on our website.
We ask that candidates please set-up an account and apply through our online system. As part of the application process, applicants will be asked to upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format:
- A cover letter
- Name, address and phone number for three professional references
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at (937) 327-7517.