College of the Sequoias
College of the Sequoias Community College District is seeking a candidate to fill a one-semester, full-time temporary position in the Biology Department beginning January 12, 2018.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting faculty who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding of and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
The primary teaching assignment will be in Microbiology. Teaching assignments may include general education biology courses, or other biology classes as determined by the college. Initial assignment may include evening classes weekend classes, and teaching at any of our locations in Visalia, Hanford, and/or Tulare.
Participation in the governance of the College by way of committee assignments is expected. Other responsibilities include maintenance of a number of office hours, full participation in departmental responsibilities and the willingness to create and/or participate in and sustain an atmosphere of equality which is respectful of diversity campus wide.
The candidate must meet the following criteria. The degree must be from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent. If the candidate holds a Ph.D. in a biological science, the candidate will be considered to have met the minimum requirements.
- Master's degree in any biological science OR
- Bachelor's degree in any biological science AND Master's degree in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science OR
- The equivalent AND
- Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
The Biology Department is looking for evidence of the following:
- Teaching experience in Microbiology and Human Anatomy
- Experience in designing and implementing microbiology lab experiences in a college classroom setting.
- Teaching experience at the community college level
- Graduate and/or undergraduate coursework related to Microbiology and Human Anatomy.
- Familiarity with the educational needs of community college students pursuing Health Science careers.
- Experience in and/or commitment to working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, academic and disability backgrounds.
- Ability to make a positive contribution to the instructional program at College of the Sequoias by developing instructional activities, course syllabi, and other necessary materials.
- Ability to incorporate student learning outcome objectives within courses and programs and assess those outcomes.
- Experience with or interest in alternative instructional modes.
College of the Sequoias Community College District
915 S. Mooney Blvd. Sequoia Room 5
Visalia, California, 93277.
Phone: (559) 730-3867