Spanish Instructor - Upward Bound
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Academic Coordinator
Summary of Position:
Mills College Upward Bound (MCUB) is a federally funded TRiO program designed to enhance the academic skills of low-income first generation college-bound high school students in the Oakland and West Contra Costa Unified School District with the goal that participants will pursue a post-secondary education. TRiO is funded by the U. S. Department of Education.
Saturday College Description
Mills College Upward Bound Program offers an educational program for students in 9th -12th grade. The Saturday College program will provide academic instruction in core subjects: English, Sciences and Mathematics. It will also provide courses and workshops exploring various topics: Life Skills, Study Skills, College Preparation, Career Exploration, and Cultural Awareness.
The Saturday College program will be carried out at Mills College throughout the academic year once per month. Staff orientation will take place prior to the first instructional day. Instruction for the Mills College Upward Bound Program is scheduled to begin Saturday, December 9th. The daily instructional schedule is 9:30am-1:30pm. The following Saturdays are scheduled for instruction.
- December 9th
- January 27th
- February 24th
- March 31st
- April 28th
- May 26th
- Future Dates TBA
Each course will be defined by:
- Class sizes (15-25 students).
- Daily in-class instruction, group work, real-world application of concepts taught, quizzes.
- Experiential learning; interactive curriculum; foundational development; problem-solving skills; present novel concepts that they may not otherwise be seen by our students unless they decide to actively seek it out; Math Circle games, test-taking strategies, along with fun project based learning activities.
- Pre & post assessments.
- Develops and implements effective units, lessons and classroom activities.
- Organizes class systems/procedures and manages student behavior to ensure all students are fully engaged in learning; supports systems/procedures of classroom teachers.
- Design and implement a course syllabus that effectively outlines monthly concepts covered, in-class & group work, projects, post assessment.
- Establish classroom management policies and procedures needed to maintain a productive classroom environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Mills College Upward Bound mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Participate in Mills College Upward Bound instructional staff meetings at 9:00 am before the instructional day begins.
- Attend teacher orientation/planning session(s), program activities, & final evaluation closing session. Dates to be announced prior to hiring.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of subject matter and skill acquisition in subject being taught.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in related field and some proficiency with computers.
- Knowledge of child/adolescent development and different learning modes and teaching styles.
- Inspirational, culturally aware with demonstrated knowledge and experience in problems facing low-income and first generation students.
- Skills and knowledge to effectively work with students with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to understand and enforce all Mills College Upward Bound Program policies.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. Preferred candidate holds Teaching Credential or working towards Teaching Credential.
- Minimum 2 years experience teaching in related subject.
- Minimum 2 years direct working relationship/or teaching low-income, first-generation college-bound students.
- Strong preference given to Oakland Unified School District teachers.
Saturday College Instructors will be compensated at a rate of $25.00 per hour.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=92124
- Cover letter specifying your qualifications & expertise.
- Resume and contact information for 3 references.
- Sample course proposal/syllabus.
Email questions or applicant information to [email protected]