Dean of the College of Business
Dean of the College of Business
James Madison University (JMU) invites applications and nominations for Dean of the College of Business. Reporting to the Provost, and serving on the senior academic leadership team, the Dean provides academic, intellectual, administrative, strategic and budgetary leadership for the College. In collaboration with academic unit heads, the Dean promotes a highly stimulating and creative learning environment for faculty and students, while supporting academic unit self-governance. The Dean champions recruitment, development, inclusion, mentorship, and retention of diverse and highly qualified faculty, students and staff. The Dean represents the College to internal and external constituents and advocates for faculty and student interests through external fundraising. The Dean works closely with the College of Business Board of Advisors to advance the strategic vision of the College and its affiliate schools. As a transformative leader, the Dean works with colleagues throughout campus to facilitate innovation, creativity, collaboration, entrepreneurship, and engagement in teaching and learning, scholarship, and service. The Dean will continue oversight and management of a major College of Business-related Facilities project, targeted for a Fall 2020 opening. Working collaboratively with University Advancement, the Dean will also be an active partner in ongoing fundraising for this project.
The College offers AACSB-accredited degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels and four minor programs. College academic units include Accounting; Computer Information Systems and Business Analytics; Economics; Finance and Business Law; International Business; Management; and Marketing. The Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management offers two undergraduate programs and a master’s program, and the School of Strategic Leadership offers a doctoral program with three concentrations. Additional business, learning and service opportunities abound through the College’s Center for Economic Education; Center for Entrepreneurship; Institute of Certified and Professional Managers; Small Business Development Center, and Center for Professional Sales. College faculty are active in the General Education program. The College has 163 full-time faculty, 37 staff, 4967 undergraduate majors and 283 graduate students. Additional information may be found at https://www.jmu.edu/cob/index.shtml.
JMU seeks a dynamic, strategic, and collaborative individual to lead the College with integrity and humility. The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
• Earned doctorate in a discipline relevant to the College;
• Strong record of teaching, research, and university/professional service commensurate with an appointment as a tenured, full professor in one of the College’s departments or affiliated schools;
• Proven success in building relationships with external constituents to increase visibility, partnerships and financial support for the College;
• Strong record of supporting and mentoring faculty and students;
• Demonstrated commitment to increasing and strengthening diversity and inclusion among students, faculty and staff;
• Established record of success in building a leadership culture as an academic unit head, chair or similar position in academic administration;
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education and research;
• Validated evidence of strong communication, listening and interpersonal skills, integrity, and a collaborative and transparent leadership style, with a commitment to shared governance;
• Demonstrated familiarity with AACSB accreditation standards and processes;
• Demonstrated success in developing budgetary priorities and in fiscal responsibility for decisions regarding expenditures.
Additional factors that are of interest to the search committee include:
• Successful industry/professional experience
• Record of innovation, creativity, and advocacy
• Effective and collegial work with a wide range of academic and industry leaders
• Experience supporting faculty development
JMU is a selective, public, comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 20,000 students located in the scenic Shenandoah Valley, two hours southwest of Washington, D.C. JMU has eight colleges (Arts and Letters, Business, Education, Health and Behavioral Studies, Honors, Integrated Science and Engineering, Science and Mathematics, and Visual and Performing Arts) and The Graduate School. JMU has an excellent national reputation involving strong student-centered undergraduate and graduate education. The university provides a distinct educational experience that combines a diversity of degree programs and learning opportunities offered by many larger institutions with an engaged, teacher-centered faculty traditionally found at a selective, liberal arts college. The university is committed to addressing complex, real-world problems and contemporary issues throughout its curriculum. JMU has received national recognition as one of the top public master’s-level schools in the South (U.S. News and World Report). For more information about the university, visit www.jmu.edu.
The search committee will consider only complete submissions. References will not be contacted until a candidate is being considered for a campus visit. To apply, visit http://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/2528 or go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1075. Individuals wishing to nominate candidates should submit a letter of nomination and complete contact information for the nominee to Chair, College of Business Dean Search Committee, MSC 4101, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807. Fax: 540-568-2747.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with review of applications to begin January 8, 2018. The desired start date is July 1, 2018. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
James Madison University accepts applications only through JobLink (joblink.jmu.edu). Applications must include:
1. A Cover Letter of no more than two pages that summarizes the alignment of the candidate’s experiences with required qualifications
2. A current Curriculum Vitae
3. Other Document #1: A concise (maximum of 2,000 words) statement describing the candidate’s vision for leadership (to include opportunities, strategies, and challenges), including, but not limited to, each of the following areas:
a. Developing relationships with external constituents and donors
b. Developing leadership skills of others
c. Collaborating with other academic and industry leaders
d. Building JMU into the national model of the engaged university
Please do not upload a separate list of references. The faculty profile will prompt you for reference information in a separate section.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.