The Grants Manager will be responsible for managing all federal and foundation grants received by APLU, reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer. The role will focus on grant compliance, reporting, invoicing and monitoring grant deliverables, and controlling budgets to ensure that funds are spent appropriately. The individual hired for this role will have at least 5 years of experience managing grants in a university setting, possess excellent accounting skills, and will have a strong understanding and interest in higher education issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Budgeting and Accounting
- Develop budgets for grant proposals in close collaboration with program staff.
- Cost-out activities by obtaining accurate estimates from program staff and vendors; manage RFQ processes when needed.
- Ensure that indirect costs are appropriately calculated, according to negotiated overhead rates and restrictions.
- Annually negotiate APLU’s overhead rate with the federal government.
- Invoice all federal and foundation grants according to the agreed-upon schedule.
- Monitor and control budgets to ensure that funds are spent according to project schedules and that staff are adhering to budget limits.
- Produce monthly variance reports for program staff and the CFO.
- Create general ledgers and invoices for each grant according to the disbursement schedule.
- Work with auditors to complete annual audits and resolve issues that may arise.
- Ensure that APLU adheres to the highest ethical standards by maintaining accuracy, transparency, and accountability for all grants.
- Create financial reports for grants using the appropriate templates for each foundation or funder. Complete SF-425 Federal Financial Reports at the end of each fiscal year.
- Regularly monitor and update staffing matrix showing percentages of staff time committed to each grant, in compliance with funder restrictions.
- Manage subawards to institutions, in collaboration with program staff.
- Stay abreast of new policies and regulations for federal funding agencies as well as guidelines from private funders.
Organization and Management
- Ensure signed paperwork is in place for all new grants, communications procedures are in place, and staff allocations are submitted to payroll.
- Regularly update grant reporting fields in APLU’s CRM and ensure all interim and final reports are uploaded.
- Meet regularly with PIs and program staff, including initial budget brainstorming meetings, check-ins, and grant closeout meetings.
- Maintain an organized database of active grants and pending proposals.
- Work with Accounts Receivable to ensure that all grants invoices are recorded into the general ledger.
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure that subawards and vendor payments are accurate, timely, and coded correctly.
- Manage the procurement process in collaboration with program staff.
- Prepare reports and presentations for the CFO, President, and Board of Directors as needed.
- At least 5 years of experience managing grants in a university setting.
- Excellent financial management and accounting skills, including developing and monitoring budgets.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to strategize financial and budgeting issues.
- Subject-matter expertise in higher education and deep understanding of university operations.
- Knowledge of federal grant reporting requirements and regulations.
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and produce quality results.
- High ethical standards for self and colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Experience supervising a staff of two or more.
- Knowledge of Paycom and Office 365