Montana State University Billings (MSUB) is seeking a visionary chancellor who is committed to serving the university’s student-centered mission and will serve as a strong, entrepreneurial-minded leader who can galvanize the university and its diverse community around a compelling vision for the future. The next chancellor of MSUB will lead the institution to its next level of excellence by focusing on successful practices that will result in student recruitment and in helping students graduate on time. Understanding the university’s mission, the chancellor will continue to attract and develop outstanding faculty and staff, will enhance the excellent relationships with alumni as well as with the business and non-profit communities. The chancellor will forge new public/private partnerships and will raise significant funds to advance MSUB.
The president of Montana State University and the MSUB community seek a new chancellor who has unquestioned integrity, has demonstrated abilities as a strategic thinker, is a strong leader, an entrepreneur and innovator, and who:
- Possesses an earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher education and/or other credentials that would engender the trust of the faculty and higher education community;
- Has experience as a sitting chief executive officer or vice chancellor/vice president with a strong focus on student success, proven track record in fundraising and public/private partnerships; has outstanding non-traditional experience with an understanding of higher education experience as well;
- Possesses financial acumen, strategic planning/budgeting experience, political savviness, knowledge of two-year colleges, and is technologically sophisticated;
- Is strongly committed to diversity throughout the institution and can provide historical evidence of recruiting and retaining minorities and women.
- Wishes to engage in major gifts fund raising, and has a substantial commitment to effective community, business, and university relations; has a verifiable record in these areas;
- Has a collaborative management style and manages change well; is adept at conflict resolution; is accomplished in interpersonal relations and team building;
- Is a team player and leader within the MSU community—having a university systems experience is an added plus;
- Demonstrates strong public speaking, listening, and writing skills;
- Demonstrated ability to articulate a vision for the university and execute a plan for implementation of the vision; and
- Proven success in workforce and economic development.
MSUB is one of four institutions in the Montana State University affiliation – Montana State University doctoral campus in Bozeman, MSU Northern, Great Falls College MSU, and MSU Billings. MSUB is a comprehensive, regional urban university serving the Yellowstone County and eastern state region. With approximately 4,400 students (Fall 2017) and 3,450 FTE (annualized FY17) it offers associate, baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Billings is a diverse city with a metropolitan area population of 166,555 and is the largest financial, medical, and retail facilities between Spokane, WA; Denver, CO; and St. Paul, MN.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidate screening will begin immediately. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided no later than January 6, 2018. A complete application will include a letter describing relevant experiences and interest in the position, current curriculum vitae, and the names of five references with titles, mailing addresses, business/home telephone numbers, and email addresses. All documents should be submitted in pdf format. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination, including the name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee. Greenwood/Asher & Associates (GAA), an executive search firm, is assisting MSUB in the search.
Applications and letters of nominations should be submitted to:
Jan Greenwood, Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Crystal Cheatham, Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
For more information about MSUB, please visit:
MSUB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as other qualified individuals.