College of the Sequoias
Description of Position
College of the Sequoias Community College District is seeking an energetic candidate who is enthusiastic about the culinary field to fill a full-time, tenured-track position in the Consumer Family Studies Division beginning August 2018. The primary responsibility is to teach a variety of culinary and foods courses that fulfill either general education requirements or count toward Culinary certificates. It will also be this position's responsibility to develop and maintain a strong culinary and foods program. The faculty member will provide classroom instruction in accordance with established course outlines while using appropriate culinary and food-safety skills.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintain scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees and performing other duties consistent with the role of a faculty member. Teaching assignment may include evening classes, weekend classes, and teaching at any of our locations in Visalia, Hanford and/or Tulare.
The candidate must meet following criteria. Must have a degree from an institution accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or the equivalent.
• Any Bachelor's degree AND two years of professional experience, or any associate degree AND six years of professional experience. Professional experience should be in or directly related to the culinary or food technology discipline. OR
• The equivalent AND
• Demonstrated sensitivity to, and understanding of, the
diverse academic social, economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Note: If claiming equivalency, please refer to Board Policy 7211.
The Consumer Family Studies Division, Culinary Department is looking for evidence of the following:
• Culinary certificate or degree
• Strong culinary skills that meet professional standards.
• Ability to function as a chef and transfer knowledge to
• Community college teaching experience.
• Vision and ability to revise and expand the current
• Experience in a variety of commercial kitchen settings,
including fine dining and institutional foodservice. Ideally this experience would include direct experience with food preparation as well as managerial experience.
• Possession of current food safety (food protection) certification which meets the California Health and Safety Code 113947 as a Certified Food Manager or Person in Charge.
• Qualified to teach ServSafe courses.
• Ability to work with computers and other technologies
to provide high-quality instruction.
• Ability to work with non-academic campus programs,
such as campus foodservice, to optimize opportunities
for culinary students, courses and programs.
• Evidence of an ability to address the needs of a diverse
and frequently under prepared student population taking a wide range of college level courses.
• Assume leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
• Active involvement in industry-related professional organizations and evidence of continued professional development in the culinary field.
• Ability to work with local restaurants, associations and chefs to provide additional learning experiences for students and support for learning goals.
• Work collegially and collaboratively within the college community.
• Participation in department, division, college committees and participatory governance activities.
• Participation in ongoing professional development.
• Ability to develop and maintain all culinary curriculum.
• Ability to create a dynamic leaning environment that
values instructor/student interaction.
• Evidence of the ability to use a variety of teaching
strategies and assessment methods to encourage retention while successfully challenging a diverse student population.
• Demonstrated ability to develop effective lesson plans and select instructional materials appropriate for culinary and food instruction.
• Ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic leaning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures and experience.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a budget.
Conditions of Employment
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Initial placement is based on candidate's educational degree and may range from $53,436 to $80,213.
Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee and dependents and $100,000 employee life insurance is provided.
Retirement Plan provided.
Contract period is for ten (10) months during the regular academic year beginning August 2018 through May 2019.
Pre-service orientation and/or inservice meetings will be offered in August 2018.
A collective bargaining agreement exists, and membership in the College of the Sequoias Teachers Association (COSTA) or payment of a service fee is required.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by the screening committee. Application materials will be evaluated to determine how fully the applicant meets the Desirable Qualifications. The most successful interviewees will be invited to a second interview with the District President. All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
All applications must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
January 17, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Applicants must submit the following material to be considered:
• Completed COS Academic/Administrative application.
• Diversity Statement (included in the application packet)
• Letter of interest which addresses the Desirable
Qualifications. In this letter we invite applicants to expand on strengths not covered in other parts of the application.
• Curriculum Vitae or Resume
• Unofficial copies of transcripts of college/university
work. Official transcripts are required upon
• Equivalency documents (If necessary)
• Two (2) recent letters of recommendation addressing
pertinent experience or equivalent competencies.
College of the Sequoias
915 S. Mooney Blvd.
Sequoia Building, Room 5
Visalia, CA 93277
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Employment-Opportunities.aspx