Dean of College of Engineering
The University of Kentucky is seeking a dynamic leader to propel the College of Engineering to the next level of excellence. Leading with passion and creativity, this new Dean will cultivate innovation in education and research to build upon our extensive growth. Partnering with college and university leadership, the Dean will formulate and implement strategies to promote cutting-edge research that will contribute to a global society and will prepare our students to be thriving engineers who are sought after by the world's top organizations.
The Dean's primary responsibilities will include the following:
• Lead faculty and staff to develop and cultivate elite academic and research programs that yield exceptional outcomes.
• Encourage and facilitate expansion of internationally recognized research across multiple disciplines.
• Foster a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives to attract, recruit, and retain top faculty, staff, and students.
• Strengthen relationships with alumni and other strategic external partners to support the College's research, scholarly, educational, service, and fundraising goals.
• Identify and partner with leading organizations to promote growth for the field and employment opportunities for students.
Supported by 155 faculty and 158 staff members, enrollment at the College of Engineering has experienced an 83 percent growth over the last 10 years. With an enrollment of nearly 4,000 students, the diverse student population allows for a rich and broad educational experience. The College of Engineering is one of a handful in the country to offer a First-Year Engineering Program, which immerses students in the engineering curriculum from day one. To embrace continued growth and champion student success, the College recently opened a $3.5 million Center for Student Success that is changing the way engineering students learn. The College consists of eight academic departments including an extension campus, as well as 10 research institutes and centers that promote multidisciplinary research within the College and with other colleges across the University. As enrollment continues to rise, the next Dean will take over a highly respected college with the challenges and opportunities that come with growth.
Application materials should include the following:
• Curriculum vitae
• Cover letter summarizing relevant experience in leadership, administration, and academics
• Statement of your philosophy of administrative leadership and the educational and research enterprise, including your vision for the UK College of Engineering (upload under Specific Request 1)
• Names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of four references (References will not be contacted without candidate approval, upload under Specific Request 2)
Application review will begin on December 22 and will continue until the position is filled. For more information about the position, please contact Mary Beth Bracken at 859-257-3348 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dean of the College of Engineering
Type of Position
Position Time Status
PhD in an engineering field or computer science.
Required Related Experience
The successful candidate will have a record in academic leadership as well as research, education, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment as professor with tenure in an area of specialization offered by the College.
Required License/ Registration/Certification
• Evidence of creating and implementing a vision to advance academic student success.
• Strong portfolio of accomplished research and scholarly work, both independent and collaborative in nature.
• Proven understanding of the complexity of a large engineering program, and ability to adapt academic programs to respond to a dynamic environment.
• Passion for articulating the college's mission and strategy to gain support and financial resources from alumni and corporate partners.
• Ability to attract, develop, promote, and retain world-class faculty, staff, and students.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships throughout the University as well as with external partners to foster innovative and mutually beneficial opportunities.
• Desire to foster transparent communication within the college.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- Specific Request 1
- Specific Request 2