Chair, Department of Advanced Education Programs (R-0630)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The chair of the department occupies a tenure, 12-month, full-time, unclassified position. Currently, the department houses approximately 1,500 candidates; both on campus and online. The department chair oversees approximately 18 FTE faculty members and 30 adjuncts. The chair is the academic leader of the department and normally teaches on a half-time basis. The chair reports to the Dean of The College of Education.
The Advanced Education Programs Department offers Masters Degrees in Educational Administration for building principals and superintendents; School Counseling; Clinical Mental Health Counseling; English to Speakers of Other Languages; Library Media Specialist; Reading Specialist; Higher Education Student Affairs, Special Education High Incidence; Gifted Education; Instructional Technology; JROTC Instructor Prep; alternative certifications; and non-degree endorsements. The Department also offers an Educational Specialist Degree in two tracks: Educational Administration (School District Leadership); and Education Leadership.
- Earned doctorate degree in appropriate related areas from an accredited institution
- Professional experience equivalent to the rank of an Associate Professor
- Demonstrated commitment to research and service
- Higher education leadership experience
- Application of innovative instructional technology experience
- Accreditation experience
- Professional experience equivalent to the rank of Full Professor
- Strategic planning and fundraising experience
- P-12 experience
- Recruitment and managing departmental growth experience
- International education experience
- Provide vision and leadership in a constantly changing environment;
- Provide supervision to faculty and assure that the department and all entities within it operate in accord with university policies, procedures and strategic planning guidelines;
- Provide the same assurance for external policies, in particular the Kansas Board of Regents and the Kansas State Department of Education;
- Provide, encourage and support the department’s role in the college and university’s effectiveness and learning assessment consistent with accreditation requirements;
- Manage the departmental personnel and fiscal resources, academic program review and academic advising;
- Provide departmental leadership in student recruitment and retention activities;
- Initiate and facilitate new, high quality academic programs, certificates and other traditional or adult education opportunities;
- Promote a culturally-diverse and ethnically-conscious department faculty, staff and student population;
- Promote faculty, academic citizenship and collegial professionalism within the department, college and university-learning community;
- Motivate and reward faculty performance in a learner-centered, research-supported learning environment for both on and off-campus coursework and programming offered through the Virtual College;
- Serve as a liaison between FHSU and the educational community outside the university;
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the Dean, College of Education; and
- Initiate and facilitate externally funded opportunities and grants.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knows all of the AEP Programs (Advanced Education Programs);
- Collaborate with a diverse faculty serving students across the nation and world;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Genuine desire to help people achieve their educational goals;
- Strong work ethic;
- Skills in identifying and solving problems
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Preference will be given to complete applications submitted prior to January 15, 2018.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS:
To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit the following:
- Letter of interest that addresses the required qualifications/experience described above;
- A statement of teaching philosophy;
- A vision statement describing what a graduate education program should be to serve an ethnically, culturally, and technologically, pedagogically, and content knowledge, diverse society;
- Current vita; and
- Information necessary to contact five (5) references
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Kathleen Sanders, Professor, AEP Department
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.