Manager of Infrastructure Services
The State University of New York at Fredonia is a comprehensive, selective, public, residential, liberal arts university located in beautiful Western New York, just minutes from Lake Erie. Founded in 1826, the university is among the most storied in the State University of New York system and is the first in the SUNY system to be awarded the SUNY Shared Governance Award. It is home to a world-renowned School of Music and over 100 degree programs in the liberal arts, natural and social sciences, education, mathematics, and business. Fredonia also features cutting-edge programs in the emerging fields of technology, service, and communication and is consistently ranked among the top public, master's granting universities in the North by U.S. News and World Report.
Fredonia is known for its strong academic programs, attractive architecture and grounds, rich campus life, and commitment to student engagement and success. Fredonia is focused on ensuring that all Fredonia students, utilizing knowledge developed through a broad range of intellectual experiences, will be:
- Skilled (develop Intellectual and Applied Skills, Literacies and Knowledge),
- Connected (engage Community and Diversity: Local Stewardship, Global Citizenship),
- Creative (demonstrate Scholarship, Artistry, and Innovation), and
- Responsible (activate Sustainability, Ethics, Leadership, and Professionalism).
Read a message from State University of New York at Fredonia's President.
The State University of New York at Fredonia is currently accepting applications for the position of Manager of Infrastructure Services (Senior Programmer/Analyst SL4) within Fredonia's Information Technology organization.
The Manager of Infrastructure Services is responsible for effective provisioning, installing, configuring, and maintaining systems hardware, software, and related infrastructure. This individual will participate in technical research and development teams to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual will ensure system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational standards.
The Manager of Infrastructure Services will be involved with a variety of special projects and technical challenges on critical systems and will work both independently and as part of a skilled team.
- Lead a team of systems administrators in researching and integrating new technologies in line with business objectives. Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform physical and virtual server administration, hardware maintenance, and troubleshooting as needed and required.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, storage, services, settings, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Plan and implement patches, upgrades, and migrations.
- Develop disaster avoidance and business continuity plans for critical systems
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration documentation as needed and required.
- Design, install, configure, and support Fredonia's production and development Active Directory environment.
- Install, configure, and support a system-focused management platform product used to securely and remotely manage many aspects of the campus' Windows desktop and server environment. Examples include Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, SpecOps, etc.
- Track various enterprise product licenses including products from Microsoft, VMWare, and VEEAM.
- Formulate a multi-year operating and capital expense budget. Make recommendations based on a combination of industry best practices and Fredonia's unique Academic, Administrative, and Research needs.
- Configure, support, and upgrade Fredonia's central federated authentication login system.
- Provision and respond to issues relating to Fredonia's cloud-based productivity application suite, Google Apps for Education.
- Develop subordinates by devising individual technical and professional training programs.
- Using various backup technologies (VEEAM, Backup-Exec, ArcServe, etc.) create and maintain backups for various physical and virtual systems.
- Utilize AD Group Policies to customize the end-user workstation experience via GPO administration including creating, editing, and deploying GPO's
- Utilize and integrate current system monitoring and alerting technologies, including WhatsUpGold, to build a pro-active infrastructure alerting system.
- Supervise the Infrastructure Services team, develop performance programs for and annual evaluations of team members in accordance with campus practice.
- Know, understand, and follow all university and SUNY policies.
- A minimum of a Bachelor (4-year) degree with a major such as engineering, computer science, or business from an accredited institutino
- 5 or more years of work experience related to the duties described here.
- Possess a high degree of technical understanding and demonstrable skills and knowledge of Microsoft server administration and technologies including Active Directory and Group Policy creation.
- Hands-on experience deploying and administering the following: Microsoft Hyper-V and/or VMWare clusters, storage technologies (SAN, NAS, iSCSI), replication, backups, etc.
- A willingness and ability to learn and implement new technologies.
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and constituents in support of campus and department mission.
A highly desirable candidate would possess the above plus:
- Experience with Linux administration
- Experience with VLAN's, Cisco technologies, and various firewall products.
- Experience working with and administering the Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, etc. ) suite of products
- Project management experience and/or certifications a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with various other enterprise applications including: OnBase, Argos, Oracle, MSSQL, Visual Basic, IIS, Asset Management, HP OpenView, Bomgar Remote Support, EFS, Listserv Administration, and Student Print Quota Software Administration And Maintenance
This is a full-time, term appointed, tenure track, Senior Programmer/Analyst SL4 position beginning January 2018.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Fredonia prides itself on an outstanding workforce. To continually support organizational excellence, the university conducts background screens on applicants.
An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, Fredonia provides for, and promotes, equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment, without discrimination.
Pursuant to University policy, the University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, or domestic violence victim status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
The University's policy is in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination and harassment. These laws include the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as Amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, and the New York State Human Rights Law. These laws prohibit discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates shall apply and submit the required documents listed below by clicking on the APPLY NOW button. Complete applications received by November 20, 2017 will be given full consideration. Names and contact information for three professional references are required as part of the application.
- Cover Letter
Note: After submitting your Resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload the additional, required documents.