Assistant Director of Development #002237, #182773

Job description

Posting Information: Two positions will be recruited from this posting. WCU is expanding its fundraising team, and has an outstanding opportunity for a development professional to learn more about higher education fundraising by soliciting lead annual fund gifts and qualifying potential major gift donors. The Assistant Director of Development is an EHRA non-faculty, direct fundraising position that works closely with the Directors of Development and reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Development. This position will be a front line fundraiser that is part of an experienced fundraising team. The Assistant Director of Development will work with Advancement Services and Directors of Development to build and manage a portfolio of leadership annual donors ($1,000+/year), assist in identifying and qualifying major gift prospects ($25,000+), and help cultivate their interest in supporting WCU's immediate and long-term philanthropic goals. The Assistant Director will collaborate closely with other advancement staff, as well as faculty and volunteer leaders to engage prospects in the work of the University and to build the major gift pipeline. The Assistant Director will also help the development team to manage donor events, volunteer committees, and special projects. The Assistant Director of Development will travel extensively, and spend 75% of time on front-line fundraising activities, including soliciting annual leadership gifts and qualifying major gift prospects. The remaining 25% of time will be spent filing reports; documenting activities; and assisting with events, volunteer committees, and special projects. Additionally, the Assistant Director of Development may be called upon to assist the Vice Chancellor, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Directors of Development, and other staff members of Western Carolina University. Responsibilities: 1. Establish and maintain a portfolio of 60-75 leadership annual donors and potential major gift donors for qualification. 2. Actively qualify prospective major gift donors for inclination and capacity to support WCU's mission. 3. Develop, document, and implement comprehensive strategies for assigned prospects, and create monthly reports to evaluate results and refine strategies. 4. Assist Directors of Development with event planning and volunteer management activities. 5. Develop targeted relationships with key faculty and staff as part of cultivation and stewardship efforts. 6. Integrate alumni engagement and donor recognition opportunities within cultivation activities. 7. Meet and/or exceed established metrics including overall fundraising results, a monthly target of 10-12 face-to-face visits, and other categories of meaningful contacts with assigned prospects. 8. Prepare donor proposals and gift agreements, as necessary. 9. Create and file digital contact reports through the Banner database to track and document contacts with assigned prospects. 10. Attend departmental, campaign, college, alumni and development functions as appropriate. 11. Work evenings and weekends as required; staff Alumni and other campus events. 12. The Assistant Director of Development will be expected to travel frequently and be fluent in the various options needed to schedule efficient, safe, and cost effective travel. 13. Perform other duties as assigned.

Minimum Training & Experience Requirements: Education: A bachelor's degree is required. Successful candidates will have 2-4 years of experience in sales, alumni relations, or fundraising in a non-profit setting; a history of using data to track activity toward well-defined goals; and a commitment to the mission and purpose of public higher education. Successful candidates will also demonstrate strong interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills; a high energy level and commitment to professional growth; unquestioned integrity and fiscal accountability; ability to plan and achieve long- and short-term fundraising goals while documenting activity; and exceptional written and oral communication skills.

Preferred Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have experience in fundraising in a higher education setting that includes successful closure of individual and/or corporate or foundation gifts. A working knowledge of the fundamentals of planned, major, and annual giving is preferred.

Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered, you must apply online. Attach a cover letter, current resume and a list of references (including complete contact information with name, title, address, email, and phone) to complete the application. For questions and additional information, please contact Bill Norris, Director of Development at 828-227-2867 or [email protected]




Diversity Profile: University



View more

Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University

Arrow pointing right
Job No:
Posted: 10/21/2017
Application Due: 10/21/2018
Work Type: