Enterprise Web Developer
This position reports to the Director of the Enterprise Technology group of WCTS, works with another developer as a coordinated team of two, and is primarily responsible for the creation, maintenance and improvement of enterprise web applications. As a member of Whitman College Technology Services (WCTS), this position collaborates with other members of IT to provide an information technology environment that is consistent with the goals of Whitman College and meets the needs of faculty, staff, and students.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION
Contribute to the enterprise web development effort at Whitman College. This includes implementation and maintenance of self-service web functionality, primarily for (but not limited to) the highly integrated myWhitman web application. Associated activities include: user interviews; interface design and subsequent usability testing; and test-driven development to ensure code coverage.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Coordinate with other WCTS staff to ensure a secure and stable information technology environment.
• Conduct usability interviews and analyses to maximize the value of development for our constituents.
• Work with fellow WCTS staff, as well as faculty and other college staff, in the evaluation of technology solutions.
• Maintain professional contacts with other colleges, associations, organizations and vendors concerning technology services and equipment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
• A minimum of 1 year experience as a front-end UI/UX developer and/or back-end services developer, or any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to establish and maintain cooperative and harmonious working relationships with a variety of campus constituencies.
• Strong ability and commitment to troubleshooting issues in a variety of contexts, including those outside of one’s immediate responsibilities.
• Experience creating documentation for code, user interfaces and/or business processes.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and establish effective working relationships.
• Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for emergency application support.
• Demonstrated ability to work with effectively with vendors in obtaining software support.
• Satisfactory clearance of background check.
• Experience working with and protecting sensitive, regulated (HIPAA, FERPA, and other personally identifiable information) data.
• Experience creating and consuming REST and other web services.
• Experience with test-first/test-driven development to ensure a high-quality production environment and continuous integration efforts.
• Experience with a variety of web application development technologies, including, but not limited to Java, Grails, jQuery, Knockout.js, Redis, Elasticsearch, Tomcat and Liferay.
• Experience working with distributed version control systems like Mercurial or Git.
• Experience developing in established code base or project, including maintenance of others’ code.
• Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems or related field.
• Experience working in higher education.