Duties: The Managing Director (MD) will manage operations and lead strategic operational initiatives for the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics (LDI). While the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for achieving LDI goals and assuring that day-to-day operations align with these goals, the MD will directly assist the Executive Director in meeting these responsibilities and serve as the second-in-command of LDI operations.
The MD will be responsible for the supervision of the programmatic departments of LDI. Under the leadership of the Executive Director, the MD will set direction for LDI's Associate Directors, and serve as their mentor, coach, and guide. Through metrics established with the Executive Director, the MD will manage LDI activities and hold the staff accountable for performance against those metrics. The Managing Director will be responsible for drafting/creating LDI's annual report and operating budgets. He/she will identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities. He/she will also lead hiring of new staff, promotions/raises of current staff, as well as nurture organizational culture and cohesiveness of LDI.
The MD will assist the Executive Director with strategic planning and the execution of strategic initiatives to align the organization's programs, projects, and messaging with the strategic direction of the organization. The MD will take the lead on the execution of priority strategic initiatives. This responsibility will critically involve writing grants, contracts, and proposals at the initiation phase; executing new programs at the implementation stage, and marketing and communicating program success at the concluding state. Strategic initiatives include marketing campaigns, fundraising and donor management, business development, and partnership activities. Provide guidance to executive director for marketing, media relations, public relations and issues management activities. Trouble shoot any interim problems as they arise.
Qualifications: Masters degree and minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible management, business development, and program management in relevant higher education/academic research with healthcare focus or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Minimum 5 years experience directing programs and supervising staff in dynamic and changing environment.
Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and implement healthcare-related programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Proven track-record of building long-lasting partnerships between faculty and public/private organizations to deliver collaborative impactful programs/initiatives.
* Strong business, financial and strategic acumen, and critical thinking skills. Experience writing and negotiating contracts.
* Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and activities, as well as manage multiple and competing priorities under tight deadlines
* Proven ability to analyze complex problems and communicate effectively (both verbally & written) with multiple internal and external constituents, including senior faculty, and senior healthcare leaders.
* Ability to navigate complex and difficult environments.
* Demonstrated ability to design, manage and lead teams and individuals to manage multiple priorities. Ability to engage, inform, motivate and develop staff.
* Extraordinary relationship building and people skills
* Independent, self-confident and highly credible in representing LDI.
* Demonstrates strong commitment to understanding the health care system and supporting mission of LDI.
Reference Number: 07-27012
Salary Grade: 031
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Leonard Davis Institute
Job Family: D-Financial