ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, ALUMNI REGIONAL CLUBS
Duties: The University of Pennsylvania Alumni Relations department is a customer/client focused service-oriented department whose mission is to engage all Penn alumni in a mutually beneficial, lifelong connection to each other, their school, and the University, and encourage alumni support and guidance to advance Penn's eminence for future generations. Many of the department's activities and programs are carried out through a network of volunteers as well as through collaboration with other University departments.
Within Alumni Relations, there are several teams to ensure a lifelong connection to Penn. The Alumni Regional Clubs team deals with over 120 alumni clubs located around the world. These clubs are independently managed by alumni volunteers.
The Associate Director plays a significant role, in tandem with all programs in Alumni Relations. As a multicultural organization, Penn values human differences as an asset, sustains a culture that reflects the interests, contributions and values of members of diverse groups; and delivers educational programming to meet the needs of diverse audiences.
Alumni Club Management
* Manage a portfolio of domestic and international alumni clubs including major markets. Provide strategic direction with club leaders to identify goals, plan events, and offer a variety of opportunities to engage all alumni in the region.
* Identify, recruit, train and support volunteers.
* Provide direction on governance issues including board management, succession planning and elections.
* Provide guidance and support for university programming in assigned major markets.
* Coordinate faculty and university speakers and help identify innovative programs that appeal to all alumni in the region. Develop university-sponsored programming for specific regions.
* Provide university updates and information as well as alumni lists, registration tools, website support
* Guide clubs through the Regional Clubs Action Plan to set goals and meet minimum standards.
* Data management - Ensure current and updated information for alumni volunteers is current in main alumni database (contact reports); attendance lists tracked; Penn calendars updated; websites and listservs current; volunteers correctly coded. Also, analyze level of club involvement compared with overall number of alumni living in region.
* Leadership Development - develop strategy to enhance volunteer leadership training, set timeline and direction for in-person and virtual programs and create training materials.
* Communications and Marketing - develop materials for the Regional Clubs team and establish protocol for ongoing communications: i.e. newsletters for major markets, annual report, etc.
* iModules - establish event registration and data management process for all clubs
* Staff Alumni Relations events as needed such as Homecoming and Alumni Weekend.
Qualifications: BA/BS Degree required. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, or someone who has significant knowledge of the University and its alumni programs is strongly preferred.
3-5 years of experience in alumni relations, public relations, marketing and/or similar activities. Experience working with volunteer organizations preferred. Event planning and management skills necessary. Strong communication skills, both oral and written, and strong customer-service orientation.
Time management and ability to multi-task strongly preferred.
Customer-oriented. Able to balance multiple projects simultaneously, giving attention to priorities and details. Interpersonal and motivational skills important. Writing and technical skills a must. Knowledge of databases and excel, web and email communications preferred. Demonstrated public speaking ability helpful. Must be able to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed. Driver's license and passport are required.
Reference Number: 90-26986
Salary Grade: 027
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Alumni Relations
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: F-Development/Fundraising/Marketing